First Time Quailer

Discussion in 'Quail' started by [email protected], Oct 16, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    First time hatching anything im nervios im using homemade incubater and found a lady on craigslist who is gonna sell me 6 fertile eggs (its my choice) each egg is 30 cents and ther contrixs if they hatch is it easy to butcher them for their meat when they get older i want them to not suffer and are they noisy as chicks and as adults and finally Im hatching it at a different house then where there gonna stay can i just put it in a cooler and take it to my other house what do i need to transport it:/

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    That's a lot of questions all at one time, so I will answer the first: Coturnix are pretty easy to butcher! Of course...when they are older.

Second question...No, they are not noisy as chicks, and their adult sounds as far as "Noisy" goes is a total value judgement.

I'm not sure about the rest.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have six 1 1/2 week olds, the loudest they get is when they need something and scream, and even then it's not that loud. I can only really hear their chatter when I'm a foot or so away from them. They can be noisey when thet jump around but thats more of a thud. I can't say for adults, I personally like their crow.

"Im hatching it at a different house then where there gonna stay can i just put it in a cooler and take it to my other house what do i need to transport it"
    I'm not sure I follow? you mean to drive your eggs from the sellers house to your house? They shouldn't be chilled they should be stored at room temp until you plan to start incubation.

4. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    no i need to transport the chicks and i might need to do it the day they hatch

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    If your talking about transporting chicks, I wouldn't use a cooler a small box where there are close but not piled would be ok, but they should have some ventilation too. If you have a pet store close by, especially a company like petco or petsmart, see if you can by a small animal box (the cardstock ones they send animals home in) should only be a few cents.

6. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    but what about heat

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    They will be ok for a little bit as long as they are close together, just make sure that they arn't piling. shipped quail only have body heat and that can take up to 3 days it's better to keep that time short though. Also you should dip their beak in the water (to teach them how to drink) when you put them in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by