1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time raising chickens in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nlc219, May 24, 2016.

1. nlc219

nlc219 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    I have 6 chickens, 5 hens 1 rooster all 10 weeks old. They are free range on 35 acres of course they dont travel very far from the coop but they do go in the woods which scares me because they came home with a baby snake the other day i try to discourage this but not sure how to keep them away from the woods and i dont want them locked up all the time... . Another Problem i am having is they are not eating their crumbles very much actually very little is this something i should be worried about? I have read so many different things some say its fine others say they have to have feed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Oh by the way they are barred rocks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could try breaking up the crumbles (food processor) - I've read that some birds just don't like the crumbles. It also maybe that they are busy foraging and have a great time finding other food sources (or a combination of both).

CT

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    What was wrong with them having a snake? When I hit snakes with the lawn mower I throw them to the chickens to eat. Same with frogs. Or are you worried about the danger of them encountering adult snakes (and other predators) in the woods?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In the northern hemisphere this time of year, foraging chickens with a lot of space will be getting much of their food from that forage. In winter, their feed use will go up dramatically.

I too wouldn't worry about the snake. The snakes are in greater danger from the chickens.
    Other predators in the woods could be a problem though.

Where are you located?

5. nlc219

nlc219 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    I live in Tennessee 45 miles south of Knoxville. We have poisonous snakes but i also seen fox and coyotes on my land an about 24 acres of it is wooded of course my house sits next to the wooded area. The chickens come hime every evening and i lock up the coop so nothing can get in and they come in a few times a day for water if i get really worried because i havent seen them in a while i call them but sometimes it takes them a few minutes to get down to the house from the woods. I wait in anticipation and count heads as i see them approaching from the woods. As i count the 6th and final head popping out i say a prayer and thank God they all are still here.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Plymouth Rocks are fairly self sufficient foraging but they aren't extremely wary so may be picked off when something knows they are there.
    I still wouldn't worry about the snakes.

7. nlc219

nlc219 Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Thanks i put up a fence behind the house to deter them from going into the woods but they go around it or over it so I guess I will keep praying they all come back home safe and sound every day

8. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    :frow from Roane County :D This is my first year with chickens too :yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by