First-time raising chickens (layers) - ?? on egg decrease in Winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shutterbabe, Nov 12, 2010.

1. shutterbabe

shutterbabe New Egg

Nov 12, 2010
    We live in SW New Hampshire where the night time temps have been dipping below freezing for about 10 days now. We have 7 pullets - 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Barred Rock, 2 Buff Orpington, and 2 Araucanas. My Rhode Island Red began laying 1 egg every 1-2 days about 4 weeks ago and one other pullet began laying shortly there after but only 1 egg every 3-4 days. Two weeks ago I installed a heat lamp for them, and added a second this past weekend. However for the past 2 1/2 weeks, we've only gotten 1 egg! Except for one variety (I can't recall now which) whose egg production will drop slightly in the Winter unless she receives artificial heat, they're all hearty varieties that should continue laying in the winter with enough light (and they have that). At least that's what I read........ Were all the books and the breed information I found online wrong?

They eat organic egg layer pellets as their main food and get cracked corn, organic oats, veggie and bread scraps as treats. They always have fresh water & food. The 7 pullets live in a very solid tractor (but I built it too heavy so now it's a coop - it's up on blocks - there's poultry netting stapled to the bottom too, and I stuff fresh straw under so their poop falls out into the straw & they're not walking in it) which is 3.5 ft x 8 ft with a 4ft x 8 ft extension and they have a 12 ft x 4 ft (4 ft tall too) run so they have enough room. The run has straw in it too and I change it once/2-3 weeks. Their run isn't muddy or smelly and full of poop. They appear happy & healthy.

While we LOVE them, we also LOVE their eggs [​IMG] so any help is MUCH appreciated!!!! :eek:) THANK YOU!! [​IMG]

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    they have to have 14 hours of light to lay. it will take a little while to get back on track. good luck.

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not about heat. It's all about the day length.

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Your breeds are supposedly good layers thru wintertime. I have some of the same and even though I am coming upon my first winter w/ chickens, I have heard that these breeds should be fine. They are cold hardy and only need more light (not more heat) to keep up production. Yours should do very well, so I've heard.

By the way... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Mine are slowing down so we added 60' of LED Christmas Lights to the coop/run...hoping it works...have just picked up two new customers and Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming!

7. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    We have less than 11 hours of daylight here in S Carolina, and our 8 hens have not slacked off on bit.. We have 5 amberlinks, 2 BO, and 1 Wyn. and we are still get over 6 eggs every day. The same average we have been getting since Aug.

8. shutterbabe

shutterbabe New Egg

Nov 12, 2010
    Everyone who said just wait and let them get back on track, you were right!! I should have waiting another day LOL. Patience is a virtue, just not one of mine. [​IMG] 2 eggs in 2 days. [​IMG]

Thank you everyone!! [​IMG]

9. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    That's great! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by