First Time Raising Chickens... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vbaron2010, Jul 23, 2013.

1. vbaron2010

vbaron2010 Hatching

Jun 29, 2013
    Hello,

I have a small flock of mix breed chickens. 6 hens and 2 roos. I'm pretty sure that's what I got anyways. I got day olds from a local lady that hatches eggs out a few times a year. Mine were actually hatched at a 4th grade class!
    They are 5 weeks old today and I just moved them to their coop and run a couple days ago. They are living harmoniously with my rabbit.
    My question is....
    When do I switch them off chick starter?
    Do I switch them to a poultry grower food or a layer pellet?
    I have a 4' X 4' Tractor style coop that is about 2' off the ground in a run. Should I leave the food and water inside the coop area, or hang it underneath the structure?

Just curious to see what other people have tried. I am new to the chicken thing.
    Thanks!

2. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Songster

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas

I would keep them on starter until about 10 weeks old then switch them to a grower then when they start laying switch them to a layer feed or you can feed them an All flock feed which is starter/grower/layer and when the gals start laying offer oyster shell as free choice. (this is what I feed my flock of mixed ages)

As far as where you want to put their food/water station that is your choice,in our run I have 5 watering stations and 5 feed areas but I also have a flock of 60+

One thing I would look into is adding more pullets because 6 pullets to 2 cockerels is not a good mix general rule of thumb is for every one rooster have 10 hens that way the rooster won't over mate them and cause them to be stressed from over mating.

Best of luck Enjoy your chicken adventures
    Cherish

3. Epreciado

Epreciado In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Hi,

Most people will wait till they are about 10-12 weeks before switching them to a grower and once they are getting ready to lay they will switch to a egg layer. If they have access to the outside area I would just place it outside lesser of a mess inside the coop if done that way. But ultimately it is on your preference on were to put the food and water. Most questions can be answered here by doing a search or just ask and someone will eventually answer your questions.

Good luck with your flock and post pictures when and if you can of them.

4. vbaron2010

vbaron2010 Hatching

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks for your advice!
    I forgot to mention, the roosters will be leaving once they start crowing. I live in a residential area and I heard they can be quite noisy. They plan was to kill them for the soup pot, but I just don't have the heart to do that. I will put a sign up at my local feed store and I'm sure someone will want them. I lucked out with unsexed chicks, I watched a youtube video the night beofre on a feather sexing method. Worked for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by