First time raising chicks. Any tips?

MyChickens14

Chirping
Feb 4, 2018
Hello, im Morgan and its my first time raising chicks. im getting 6 on the 21 of march and i have done my research, gained my supplies and have my store bought chick starter. i just wanna keep all 6 alive and healthy so that i can have some cute, backyard egg layers. Dpes anyone have do's and don'ts or mistakes you've made that you have made? any tips? also, fyi; im receiving 2 barred rocks, 2 red sex-links and 2 black sex-links.

P.S, My brooder is in my semi-heated garage but i have a good heat lamp, is that ok?

thanks!

Hello, im Morgan and its my first time raising chicks. im getting 6 on the 21 of march and i have done my research, gained my supplies and have my store bought chick starter. i just wanna keep all 6 alive and healthy so that i can have some cute, backyard egg layers. Dpes anyone have do's and don'ts or mistakes you've made that you have made? any tips? also, fyi; im receiving 2 barred rocks, 2 red sex-links and 2 black sex-links.

P.S, My brooder is in my semi-heated garage but i have a good heat lamp, is that ok?

thanks!

You might want to add to your post here how you'll be acquiring them (shipped? if so, how far away, and what is the weather like through their shipping route?) and what age they will be. If you have a pic of your brooder that you can share, that will help maximize the info so folks can give you targeted, applicable advice.

Many people do just fine with a heat lamp, though you may need to work on the height to get the right temp, so maybe practice that before you actually have your chicks? I've seen people put a thermometer on the floor of the brooder to gauge the temp under the heat lamp, and that looked like a pretty slick idea.

I went with a heat plate and that has worked very well for me. Another option you can read up on (if you haven't already) is the Mamma Heating pad thread. It's inexpensive and easy to make, and might be an option to explore. No matter what you do, great people here will support you and be willing to help, so ask away!

i live in canada and so i ordered them from a local country depot, they use Frey's Hatchery. the temperature is pretty average right now (well maybe a little colder today but they'll be shipping in a few days i think). im getting them in about 4 days. i will attach a pic later since im typing on a laptop that has No camera. i have tested the heat lamp and it reached 100 F or so. i have heard of the heat plate but since im only doing this once, it seems far too expensive and i have never heard of the last methode, how does it work? thanks so much? P.S. My brooder is just a big cardboard box with pine shavings and a heating lamp on one end and a feeder and waterer on the other end.

Electric hen is better than a heat lamp, but a bit late now, be sure that there is no way they can tip over their water nor they can drown in it, be sure there is no way they can stray away from the heat source, if they can they will and they get cold, they panic and push their body in wrong direction until they die, so the brooder should be round or square corners with no "tunnels like things they can squeeze in", put the heat lamp over them if they go away from it in a circle that is too hot, if they come straight under it together, it is to cold, they should be moving around eating and drinking normally. if they cheep all the time, there is something wrong " very cold, very hot, hungry or thirsty". if you use a heat lamp, a smoke alarm around is a good investment

Lol ;)my phone never let's me upload pics. Sry guys I'll try again later. Thanks for everything!! Btw I think I'm good with the heat lamp rules :pbut thanks!

Back
Top Bottom