First time raising chicks, need advice!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 5cutechicks, Mar 19, 2015.

1. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    I have 1 grey silkie that's really broody so we found her sitting on 4 eggs yesterday and decided to just let her keep them. Our other chickens are 1 white silkie roo, 1 black bearded silkie, 1 white laced polish and 1 smooth black silkie (think that's what she's called she has regular chicken feathers but she's a silkie and 1 other polish that's brown and black (don't know what that colors called!). Any way I don't want to have to buy lights and things to keep them warm and wondered if she can hatch them the old fashion way with out our help? I know for sure one of the eggs is our brown/black polish and not sure of the other because she's constantly stealing everyone's eggs! Any idea what colors I could get, curious to see what they might look like! I hate to sound like I don't care about the eggs by wanting to buy heat lamps and things, I'm really not I raised 4 baby silkies in my bathroom in a dog kennel last summer for 3 months we even took them to our cottage with us every weekend. I just don't have the time to invest right now with my kids in sports and my work schedule!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by