First Time Raising Chicks

Indigo JB

Hatching
Apr 25, 2018
Hello all. First time post for rookie chicken people. We have 10 hens that are a year old in the coop now and wanted to try raising new chicks. So, we have 10 americana chicks that are about 2-3 weeks old in a cardboard box. I'm gonna get a large plastic tote next from reading other posts.

My question is should i go ahead and build a box? If so how big should it be? When do I transfer the box to the coop? We're in Greenville, SC so its still in the 50's at night.

Thank you!

Thank you, not sure if we will for a while as our coop will be maxed out with 20. But, how big would you build it?
For the age they are I would build it maybe 5 by 5 and then 3-4 feet tall so they don't fly out…. don't quote me on this BC we have wire houses for ours so this is hard…..

I raised 8 in a pen I built that was about 2.5 feet by 6 feet by 30" high. It worked really well. I did hardware cloth all around, put wood support pieces on the sides which I could double as mounts for the nipple waterers, etc. By 8-9 weeks, they were ready to be out, though, that space had grown tight.

One thing to consider - even if you don't plan to brood more right away - is that if you invest and make a nice brooder setup, you can use it as a "sick bay" if the need should ever arise for an adult bird some day. That was the dual purpose I built mine with in mind. if I should ever need to separate a hen and observe, I have a nice safe, large sized setup ready to go at any time.

I raised 8 in a pen I built that was about 2.5 feet by 6 feet by 30" high. It worked really well. I did hardware cloth all around, put wood support pieces on the sides which I could double as mounts for the nipple waterers, etc. By 8-9 weeks, they were ready to be out, though, that space had grown tight.

One thing to consider - even if you don't plan to brood more right away - is that if you invest and make a nice brooder setup, you can use it as a "sick bay" if the need should ever arise for an adult bird some day. That was the dual purpose I built mine with in mind. if I should ever need to separate a hen and observe, I have a nice safe, large sized setup ready to go at any time.
Well ok what you said :D

Back
Top Bottom