first time raising chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vinniemac, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Vinniemac

Vinniemac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    Two Questions How long from baby chicks till you can put them in the coop.And I am interested in Buff Brahamas In the description of them it says there broody will that be a problem for a first timer with raising chickens
    Vinnie

2. silkiemelon

silkiemelon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    It varies. I usually put my silkies out after 5 weeks. Some people do it earlier, and some people even wait a couple months. It depends on the breed and also whether or not they will be picked on by older chickens.

And broodyness just means you'll probably have less eggs, just because the brahmas will from time to time try to hatch the eggs they lay.
    Just remember to take out the eggs! Unless you want chicks, then just let them do their thing :)

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hello also from PA come over to the PA thread and say hello! Alot of "local" people and help too! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite/8340#post_10036447

I dont put them outside in the winter until they are fully feathered about 3.5-4 months old unless you have a lamp in the coop, we have a coop/brooder outside for our girls.

My Brahma are my FAVORITE EVER EVER EVER! Love the breed, so nice and calm BUT BIG, VERY BIG! If you take a look into my signature and/or profile you will see how many different breeds we have, and I cant tell you how much we all enjoy the brahma!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by