First time raising meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaketheeggman, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    I have experience raising laying hens but i want to get some meat bird chicks and raise them. My question is there anything i need to do different than raising a laying hen? also how long before they can be put in a coop?

Thanks
    jake

5 leghorns, 3 black stars, 3 red stars, 1 cohin, 2 silkies, 12 leghorn chicks, 1 muscovy duck

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    check the stickies above [​IMG]

3. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    cornish x is what i raise...butcher pullets at 8 weeks. they grow very fast compared to other breeds. if you use commerial broiler feeds they will drink water like crazy. i add cracked corn to their diet along with all leftovers from table..breads.. i try & plan ours so we butcher just before first freeze in fall..each bird takes 15 minutes start to finish when butchering (( hand plucking feathers )).. my reg. chi.kens will jump fence & hang out with broilers / butchering birds. they are a eatting pooping machine..constantly having to change bedding..i try to move their housing & fencing at least every third day .. one year we got hit by hail & damaged apple crop..everyday i cooked apples to feed them...best tasing birds ever !! i would like to expermint someday by one pen with water & another with apple juice to see if that would make a taste difference.. like the cooked apples did. ours avg under $4 per bird to feed last yr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by