1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time Raising Meat Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cesco, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cesco

cesco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Ohio
    Well I remember when I was growing up at home my dad raised the most fantastic tasting chicken! So at Christmas I talked to him about what he raised. Oh course, I should have know. I have been a member here for a few years, that they where Cornish Rock Cross. So I ordered them last week and they came in this morning! What fascinating little things. They all drank and ate right away. Then as I was watching the temp and there over all behavor I noticed one of them not looking so good. I watched it for awhile. It lowered its little head on to the ground and fall asleep. I have 15 chicks and 2 hours after I got them 10 of them was asleep. When I stood up from my seat beside them( to get my phone to take a pic) they all woke up and went back to eating. But I know after all they are going to taste so darn good on the grill!! But untill that day comes these little guys are going to have a very good life, clean well feed and plenty of room!

Thanks
    cesco

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cute chicks [​IMG]

3. cesco

cesco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks....But do they ever stop eatting?? LOL

4. cesco

cesco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok, the more I read the more I am getting nervous about the amount of poo to come? I have 15 rock X, am I going to be able to keep the smell down? My neighbors wont care for the smell and I live in a small town that my frown on my having chickens. What is the best way to keep the smell at bay? I have a large compost pile, very large garden and large back yard (very large for being in the middle of the block). I will keep the poo to use in the garden, thats how I make the chickens worth while....lots of free fertilizer! But I cant have the swimming pool next door smelling like a farm...He might not let me come over and drink beer with him!!!

5. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    How cute, mine should be here first week of May,can't wait!!!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Fifteeen shouldn't be too horrible, for the amount of time you'll have them before processing. Do a search here on BYC about the deep litter method. Works real well on keeping the odor down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by