First time raising quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Brownie101, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Brownie101

Brownie101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2014
    It is my first time raising quail and I have a few questions... What is the best way to identify my quail? They will be show birds so it needs to be permanent. Would a wing tag or leg band be better? I will be breeding them this year but incubating the first clutch artificially. What is the incubation temperature for quail? Thanks so much! The male is named Kiwi and the female is Mango. They are California Valley Quail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I can only advise on the ID. Use leg bands. I use them on my pigeons. They cant be removed unless cut off. There are also temporary bands that can be removed. I use 8 MM interior size which is common for most homing pigeons. Larger sizes are available. I put the bands on day 4 or 5. After day 7 or 8 it is too late and they will not go on. You can have them made with your info on it to a limited amount of lines. Most peeps are mostly interested in having year, and a serial number. You can also get assorted colors for easier ID.
    Here is a Ebay link. I am not associated with this seller.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152159213627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    WISHING YOU BEST ...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by