First time rooster crow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oldchickenlady, Aug 1, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    So I go out just a daybreak this morning to see if I need to put out more hay for the horses before heading out to my job. My chickens are in their run (coop isn't finished yet) and suddenly...a noise that I've not heard before and it's definitely not a hen noise! My baby, Rudy Roo, is trying to crow! Sooo funny...sounded sort of like he was gargling! He is just coming 14 weeks old and I have been wondering when it's going to start. I guess he could have done it before, because if I am working I would still be in the house getting ready at daybreak, and on my days off I am usually still in bed, but DH and DS are out of town today, so I had to check on horses before work. So...I got to hear his 'maybe' first crow!

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Congrats! I hear crowing all day every day from all of mine!
    Nine total I think!

3. hughmac312

hughmac312 Out Of The Brooder

our boys, sammy and kap'n karl just started also, about 17 weeks old, buff leghorns

it really fun to hear them, i'm wondering how soon the novelty will wear off for my neighbors...lol

hugh and jen

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's so funny when they start crowing. I have a rooster named Ford because when he started crowing, he sounded like a Model T horn.

5. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

My Buff Orp roo "Bubba" crowed the first real crow at 9 weeks. He's been crowing ever since, in fact he's on a roll today. I love it!

6. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I love to hear roosters crow. My neighbors had one, but he got mean and went to freezer camp. My other neighbors roo got killed by a fox. No more crowing in our neighborhood, unless one of mine turns out to be a boy.

7. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I had a similar experience yesterday. My 14 week old Delaware, King Friday, was doing a sound check yesterday morning, and this morning sounded like the real thing. He did it just three times and it was when he saw me through the coop window with his breakfast in hand. It really made me smile. My husband not so much. Before I got my own chickens, I would hear a neighboring rooster in the morning when I walked out to the end of the drive to get the newspaper. I had been on the fence about getting a rooster but every time I heard that rooster, I knew that I wanted one. Hope I always feel that way. I am smiling just thinking about it.

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My BR roo is 11 weeks and started crowing about a week ago. At first I thought one of the chickens was hurt. I ran around checking each bird... then I caught Earl on top of his dog house coop. The little darling was trying to knock one out. Pretty pitiful but heartfelt. Isn't this fun?? [​IMG]

9. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    My seramas and OEGBs start attempting to crow at around 3 weeks of age. No kidding. It doesn't begin to sound like a real crow until about 9-10 weeks of age.

10. Coexcharlie

Coexcharlie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Heart of Cajun Country
    I have a bantam cochin that is temporarily taking up residence in my utility room with a couple of girls (cochins, silkies) he crowed the other morning. I am sure it was the first time because the girls kinda freaked out. It was the cutest thing I have ever heard.......he sounds like a broken toy. Like a kazoo crow. I love it. When their coop is finished I am going to miss hearing him in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by