First time showing chickens. I have questions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CalebtheChicken, Sep 19, 2010.

1. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Are there judges?
    (if they have judges) Do judges look over your bird? Or just look into the cage?
    Can you have different breeds of birds in one cage?
    What's the best bedding for the birds?
    What's the best way to prepare a bird for show?

Answers please.

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    If your showing, there will most likely be judges... depending on the judge they can take the bird out of the cage to examine it or just look through the cage, judges preferense (better judges will take the birds out of the cages. You usually put one bird in a cage, and most shows provide shavings otherwise whatever you use in your coop is adequate. To prepare for show i wash my birds roughly a day or two before the show... i have three buckets of water the first i use dog shampoo and the second two i use as rinse water... you can also use Vetrx to give the birds comb and wattles a nice sheen and also wipe your birds feathers down with a silk cloth just proir to judging... i hope this helps, goodluck and have fun [​IMG]

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    don't forget to trim the nails. you need to take feeders and waterers, sometimes they are provided. if you are showing silkies they need to be bathed 4 days before the show so they can refluff

5. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Quote:Or you can just blow dry the silkies it works just as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by