first time silkie owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by candz, Mar 6, 2017.

1. candz

candz New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    hi all. im new to the group and close to buying 2 or 3 silkie chickens. my main reason is to have a low maintenance pet for my kid, and eggs are an added bonus. i read a thread that was talking about how destructive chickens are to your garden. is that the same for silkies? we currently have 1000m2 however will be subdividing the land and will end up with 500m2 (house footprint 150m2). i really want them to free range (being a pet) at a minimum in the afternoon. are 2 chickens going to destroy my grass and plants? tia

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I've never kept silkies, but I would not envisage them ruining your garden. Not sure about predators where you are, but the scope of vision of silkies is limited by plumage, so that may be something to consider when free-ranging. Search for the silkie thread in the search box and maybe ask those with experience whether its a good idea or not.

Best wishes
    CT

3. candz

candz New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    thanks ct. im in ausustralia so man issue will be snakes in the coop im guessing. they will free range at home in the afternoon with me and my kid. im hoping large birds like cockatoos wont be an isuse.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, candz, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Hope you find the silkies you seek! [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here, good luck finding the Silkies you want!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Neighbour [​IMG] Welcome!

I have had a couple of Silkies in the past and in my opinion, they are not as destructive on the garden as the larger breeds. Also, in my experience, I have found that my feather footed bantams are less destructive than the non-feather footed bantams.

This is a link to the Silkie thread Ken mentioned: //www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

If you get a chance, pop into the Aussie thread and say “Hello” you will be welcome: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-that-funny-little-island/32640#post_18151826

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. candz

candz New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Thanks Telia...i freaked out a bit at the thought of them pulling up my garden...and I definitely want them to free range because this is my way of getting a pet that I can have but still go away on the weekend if need be :) Ill check out those threads

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by