First Time Silkie Owner

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BarmyBantams, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BarmyBantams

BarmyBantams New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you would be able to assist, Can you help me sex this guy? I believed it was a hen until it started mounting the other hens and had a little crow the other day. Very quiet and has not done it since. I know that sometimes hens can crow? It also makes the same noise as a chicken after it has lain an egg so I'm totally confused! No eggs yet from any of them.

However he has no spurs and a small comb. Would this just be a spurless small combed male?

Pumpkin is his/her name [​IMG]

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It's definately a cockerel. The males will get streamers at the back of the crests, larger combs and wattles, and a more upright stance. That bird looks young, which would explain the lack of spur growth, although silkies don't tend to get very large spurs, but it's not unheard of.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    boy... absolutely.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    YOU CAN SEE STREAMERS? Does anyone have a better picture of the streamers I hear people talking about? your BOY is beautiful

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The bird to the far right is a male, the rest are females. The streamers on him are clearly visible.

[​IMG]

6. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    The boys don't have the real poofy head..instead they have "streamers" of feathers sticking up and out all over their head. That pic shows them really well.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    now that just excites me-I have 3 lavender silkies and 1 partrige silkie-all about 8 weeks old-2 of my lav's have big poofs and 1 has streamers -little ones and my partridge one I think doesnt have any either!!! Ill double check and post a photo of them you tell me what you think tonight?

8. 10chicks

10chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Pumpkin is HIS name!!!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You can usually tell gender on partridge and grey by the penciling (or lack thereof) on the wing and body feathers much sooner than streamers form. Of course partridge males are usually prety black for hte longest time, then finally start getting colour on their wing bows and hackles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by