1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time snake offense!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenwoods, Aug 19, 2007.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Yesterday I went out to feed and pet my chickens.My 4 month olds in the tractor were fine,went into the barn and my layin buddies were fine,but in my brooder all the chicks were loud!!!,and bunched into one corner?????????
    i looked in and there was a giant black snake WRAPPED AROUND ONE OF MY NEWHAMPSHIREREDS!! NOOOOO:eek:
    I grabed an axe....LOL,and went at him,he finnaly uncurled from my chick and started trying to run off..I wasnt about to let him get away knowing where this honeyhole is!! lol,
    The chick was dead...[​IMG] I hate snakes.......:| The snake is dead, I miss my chick...

2. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    So sorry about the loss of your chick. Stupid snake! I'm glad I don't have a lot of snakes in my area.

3. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    At least you only lost one. Its hard to think of it that way but it could have been much worse. Sorry for your loss.

Bubba

4. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Can one snake take out more than one chick at a time??:eek:

5. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Depending on the snake, Chickenwoods, they can fill right up. Also, what you said is true, it would've been back. Sorry about the baby, but congrats on predator control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by