first time treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Jan 29, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    When is the soonest you should give treats, and when you do should you put them in a little container so they dont get lost in shavings?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When I do first treats, at about 8-10 weeks, I start with yogurt and hand feed them. Then grapes and things that won't get lost - a dish is just going to get overturned and trampled on. Don't ask me how I know this. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I gave mine plain yogurt and chopped hard boiled egg around 10 days old.
    If they were out with mama instead of being in a brooder, mama would have introduced them to all sorts of things by 10 days old.
    Just set a bowl of yogurt down and then step back! else you'll end up covered in it.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I do the same plain yogurt with some crumbles mixed in or boiled egg. They also love to eat meal worms right out of my hand !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are only a week old and I've given them finely chopped hard-boiled eggs. I have also given them parakeet grit because I took them outside for a little while and let them run in the grass.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wanted to add that at two weeks old my chicks were free-ranging with constant supervision on really warm, windless days. Since they were eating all kinds of things outside - including their favorite thing, bugs - that's when I started their grit, which was parakeet grit at first.
    Oh! and don't be surprised if they are scared to death of the first treats you offer them. They'll look at it and then at you like you're trying to poison them. Just leave the treat(s) with them. They'll get over their fear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by