First time trying to hatch eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5cutechicks, Mar 21, 2015.

1. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    [​IMG]i have a silkie that went broody so we let her have 4eggs it's been 3 days, checked on her yesterday and to my surprise she has stolen everyone's eggs we are now sitting on 9! Sneaky little mommy hen! I was wondering if anyone has had luck hatching chicks the old fashion way? Any chance she can hatch and keep these chicks with out me intervening? I've marked all of the eggs now so we don't end up with a bunch more. She seems to be able to sit and cover all 9 with no problem. I don't want to have to mess with a brooder heat lamps, ect... I had raised 4 baby chicks (they were 6, 5,4,3 weeks old when I got them) last year in a dog kennel in my bathroom for 4 months, even taking them to our cottage with us every weekend! I just don't really want to do that again if she can take care of them. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    She will be able to hatch and keep those chicks just fine, just make sure your food and water is on level ground and accessible to both the chicks and her.

3. 5cutechicks

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    I keep food and water in her coop with her and I check on her 2-3x a day. I bring the water and food right to her and she eats and drinks every time. Should I not to that? Should she be getting up a bit and moving?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    She really needs to get off the nest and move around a bit. If she doesn't, she may be encouraged to poop in the nest, resulting in soiled eggs that may not hatch. She also should get up off the nest to keep her muscles from atrophying. You know the old saying, "Move it or lose it"? I don't know where it originated, but it does apply to muscles. You'll also have to watch, once she starts hatching, since she'll be having a "staggered hatch". Once the first ones hatch, she may leave the nest after 24 hours or so, thinking the others won't be hatching. You might need to take the first ones for a few days, or artificially incubate the later ones.

5. 5cutechicks

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    Great info, thank you so much! I never thought about what she might do when a few hatch. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by