First time using an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 0steen3, May 23, 2011.

1. 0steen3

0steen3 New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    Received a bunch of fertilized chicken eggs from a friend. All went into my new incubator. Yesterday, 2 little black chicks emerged. None since. Should I put the ventilation plugs back in to keep the humidity constant? How long can a newly hatched chick survive without fresh air? How long should I wait for the remaining eggs to hatch? 2-3 more days or longer? Should I help them by cracking the shells at this late date?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    What kind of incubator do you have ??.

3. ButtercupFarm

ButtercupFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    I have a similar question... a friend shared eggs and they were at Day 21 today, one hatched yesterday and 2 others pipped, but haven't made much progress... Others don't seem to be doing anything... How long do I wait and is there anything I can do to help things? The one that hatched is out of the bator now (he tried to swim in the water dish)

4. ninnyeggs

ninnyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    i think 24 hours the new chick can be in the incubator. good luck keep us posted. i will be doing my first incubation this week:fl

5. 0steen3

0steen3 New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    to al6517:
    I am using a Little Giant model 9200 with an automatic egg turner, which I turned off a few days ago.

to Buttercup Farm:
    Fill your water dish with marbles. Chick will learn to drink between them and not get so wet or even drown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by