1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time w/ broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by derby, Apr 26, 2009.

1. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    I have my first broody hen. I don't have any fertile eggs. Should I just let her be broody or try to interrupt it? I tend to think I should let nature take its course and eventually she will give up and get off the nest. Would you let her be or try to get her off the nest? I could also ask around and see if anyone locally wants their eggs hatched.....

Derby

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I couldn't break mine so waited her out. It took her 3 months. She lost a fair amount of weight. She did regain it, though, and lays an egg nearly daily now.

3. Momtofive

Momtofive New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Three MONTHS??? One of my 5 hens has been broody for about a week now. We don't have a rooster so she isn't going to hatch anything. We been picking her up and tossing her out of the nest box and gathering the eggs. Then she at least is out for a little while to eat and get some air, but an hour or so later she's back sitting on an empty nest - poor misguided chicken...

4. Laffindog

Laffindog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'm glad to see this post. I have a little banty hen who is just sitting on straw and I'm never sure what I should do with her. I throw her out of the coop sometimes and she sits there in a daze for maybe a minute, then she seems to wake up and eats frantically for a little while. I go back out and don't see her, find her sitting in the nest box again. This has been going on for a little more than a week. So she will come out of it on her own eventually? It won't mess her up psychologically for me to throw her out sometimes?

Poor chickens!

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

OH come on guys get them some fertile eggs. I had 3 silkies go broodie on me. 2 of them gave up after about a week or so but one did not so I gave up hope of her coming off that nest and just gave her eggs. OMG she is so happy with her new jobs. She gets up and turns them on her own and we put feed and water in with her and she eats and growls and drinks and turns and just is doing a great job. I am tempted to try with the other 2 letting them sit on a few eggs and then swapping the eggs with little chicks.

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    If you need some fertile eggs to put under them you can always try Craigslist. People are always selling eggs for eating on there and you can just ask if any are fertile and what kind of chickens they will be. I found some fertile black cochin eggs this way for $5.00 a doz.

7. Laffindog

Laffindog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    Well, the little banty hen died today. My son found her this afternoon. [​IMG]

8. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    wow, id love to have a broody! [​IMG]

9. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:That is exactly what I did when my black cochin went broody. She wouldn't quit the egg box even though there was nothing there so I stuck one of my day olds under her in the night. She was so happy and took great care of the chick. The chick grew up and she is back to laying normally.

10. whitutis

whitutis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Quote:i am sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by