First time - what breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phunk, May 14, 2007.

1. phunk

phunk New Egg

May 14, 2007
    What breed should i get for my first time?
    I want a breed thats really friendly and likes to be handled and lays lots of eggs

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Brahmas are sweet gentle chicks. Mine were good egg layers. I have 25 feather legged cochins. Of them all though the sweetest ones are the blues, buffs, and brahmas. Do some research and make an educated decision. You will probably get alot of people who will say mine are the best. Just like I did. But I would study as much as I could before I buy.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

We could probably give you some good options with a little more information. What type of climate do you live in? Some chickens handle the heat or cold better than others. How many would you want? Do you want full size or bantam size? Is there a color that you like? A shape that you like? Some chickens are long and lean while others are shaped like a basket ball.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Also to add, what color egg are you wanting???

5. phunk

phunk New Egg

May 14, 2007
    Quote:I live in England, only 2-3 chickens, full size, preferbly red and dont mind the shape or egg colour
    thanks

6. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    how about a red cochin, you could get bantam or standerd and they are oh so friendly

7. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Quote:Buff Orpingtons are also a good choice.

8. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    My australorps are the sweetest things and good layers and have beautiful eyes that look like they have eye liner one. also my langshans are good. i recomend that you get the breed you want in a small quanity of chicks so you can handle them all and they will just adore you.

9. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I have heard and read that cochins and favorelles were really laid back, winter hardy, great dispositions and good eye layers. I don't have any yet, so I'm basing that upon what I said earlier. Let us know what you decide.

10. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Are you really stuck on red hens because I LOVE MM black sex-link hens also known as Black Stars. I always include some in my order. They are friendly, lay very well and are very hardy. I also like Austalorps. They are gentle giants [​IMG]
    My daughter is 15 months old in the pic below, she's holding an Austalorp, that probably weighs half as much as her! Just proof of how sweet they are. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by