first time wih incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kitty86, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Kitty86

Kitty86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    OK i am incubating turkey, Chicken and duck eggs.. I had a thermometer on the top of it that was already on my incubator and i put 2 thermometters in the inside with the eggs.. my questions is.. ALL 3 say a different temp! :( i had an egg bust this after noon . hey dont feel that hot to me.. but not sure hwat i need to do.. Please help!

Thanx

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I would say either average the three temperatures out or some how calibrate them to see how far they are off or not off. If your incubator is still air it could just be that there is uneven heating. A fan will help with that problem if that is the problem. The egg that busted could of just died or been infertile and just got rotten. This is why candling and removing un-developing eggs is very important. Just curious what are the three temperatures you are getting?

3. jnjmanning

jnjmanning Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    I was told if they are in a turner 101 at top of egg will give the needed 99.7 at bottom of egg. Mine is a still air and of course heat rises so it will be warmer closer to the top where the element is.

4. kt6238

kt6238 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Tennessee
    To jnjmanning,
    If you allowed the still air incubator to stabilize at 99.5 with the thermostat laying on the mesh before you added the eggs, you should be fine with laying the thermostat on top of the eggs without any other adjustments to the temp. Do not readjust the temp after adding the eggs and placing the thermostat on top. If you do the temp will end up being to cold at the lower portion of the egg.

5. kt6238

Mar 9, 2013
    Tennessee
    Another too; you probably will notice (2) red plugs on the lid if the incubator. Do not remove these until three days before the eggs are scheduled to hatch. And be sure that the water resivour in the lower portion stays full of water. Humidity is critical to successful hatching.

6. Kitty86

Kitty86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    yes ive been looking into candling the eggs.. I am just so new at this.. the duck eggs are white and in about 3 of them out of like 3 dozen i found like dark spots in the yolk the rest of the ones seem to just look like normal eggs.. the Chicken eggs are brown and some i can see threw a bit and others i cant. the turkey eggs are just 2 and 3 days old so dont know about them yet.. bu the one on the outside of the incubator says 90 with humity of 65-70.. the 2 termomitors on the inside are side by side.. one says 99.5 the other says 95.. It is a still air one. and yes the one that busted looked rather nasty on the inside O_O .. when the chicks hatch if i ever get them to how long o they stay in the incubator?

7. jnjmanning

jnjmanning Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    I have the 2 plugs closed, but my issue before was I was setting my temp with my turner in! Uggggh I dont know why I didnt realize it would be different. I also have 5 small holes in the top that dont have plugs. I have never seen this before, right now humidity is 36% should I cover these somehow?
    [​IMG]

8. kt6238

Mar 9, 2013
    Tennessee
    No, the additional homes are fine. They are designed to allow a min amount of airflow within the incubator that is generated by air displacement due to the hit air rising to the top of the incubator. You should be fine with a humidity level between 35 - 45 prh.
    You are on track to some fuzzy little babies soon!
    Just be sure to keep water in the resivour and minimize the amount if time the I incubator is in the open position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by