First time winter woes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Glennlarch, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Glennlarch

Glennlarch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    Hi all,

I am a first time chicken owner. One rooster and 9 layers. All but two of the girls are spring hatched by us. The older girls were healthy till recent.
    We have had two cold snaps(-25c) about 10 days each time followed by mild. Supplementing with water based vitamin. De wormed in fall.
    Problems with one of the older ones losing weight and feathers(brought inside), 3 younger birds losing feathers on back by tail. Coop is heated, insulated, vented (small window)
    Help...?

Thanks
    Bev

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any feather-picking happening because of boredom, a lack of room, or not enough protein (16-20%) in the diet? Is anyone molting? There could also be ones being kept from food and water. It's hard to keep multiple water sites in freezing weather, but I would make sure that more than one feeder is available inside the coop or run. I keep electric dog bowls for water, but also use rubber bowls that only are filled during the daytime, then poured out at night. There are no-pick lotions available (Roostert Booster) and bad tasting creams (Nustock, BagBalm) to apply to keep chickens from pecking out feathers. More room or letting them outside may help. Be sure first to check them over for signs of mites or lice, and if found, treat them with Permethrin or Sevin Dust every 7 days a few times, along with a coop cleanout..

3. Glennlarch

Glennlarch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks for the ideas,

I think space is a concern. Coop was built quite tiny to conserve body heat. With the cold weather they don't seem to want to go out much. I will check them for mites/ lice, and try the cream and second feeder. Thanks again

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    And welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by