First time with a broody hen!

ccarver80

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Squaw gap ND
So my hen went broody, ... dumb me forgot to mark the date when i first noticed it...

Tried candling the eggs for the first time ever, can someone tell me how far along she is??

I guessed 12-14 days... total random guess

Heres a video

I'm no expert on candling - in fact, i just let the momma get on with it. If the eggs were not set at the same time, there will be a staggered hatch.

CT

A broody will lay eggs until she feels she has enough. The actual incubation won't start until then, that way they all hatch at the same time. I can't see your YouTube video, I'll tag somebody that can.
@WVduckchick can u see the video?

No matter what, good luck with your hatch!!!

I'm sorry I missed this tag last night. I'm at work at the moment, and can't watch the whole thing right now.

But I'll tag @RavynFallen @FridayYet @AmyLynn2374 maybe they can take a look and give an opinion

What an easy going broody!! I watched it. I honestly can't tell from the video. I can't get a good clear pic of the development. The one you can see the air cell quite well and it's a decent size. If I were just looking at the air cell I would think end of second week. The growth doesn't seem that far though. There's still a lot of light passing through the eggs. I'd guess more day 10-12. But I honestly can't make heads or tales from the shadow of development you can make out on the video. I would suggest taking a look at this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation and comparing to what you see. This is an execellent thread that shows daily progression by candling.

thank you for that article! very helpful, i need to mark on my calander next time... she has been so off and on latly... that when i did finally notice she had been sitting on the a pile of eggs for a decent amount of time i couldnt pin point exactly when she started

yes she is very easy going so are all my other 26 chickens... and having 4 roosters in the coop as well i havnt had a single one attack me yet
wee.gif

thank you for that article! very helpful, i need to mark on my calander next time... she has been so off and on latly... that when i did finally notice she had been sitting on the a pile of eggs for a decent amount of time i couldnt pin point exactly when she started

yes she is very easy going so are all my other 26 chickens... and having 4 roosters in the coop as well i havnt had a single one attack me yet
wee.gif
Mine are easy going, but let one go broody and try to mess with her eggs and you'll usually get at least a growl and ruffling of feathers. My Spitz, who is a sweet girl and very personanable would try to peck your hand if you messed with her...lol

I did have one people aggressive roo. He went bye bye...lol

haha she puffs up ... only gotten peck once.... but she will let me pet her while shes on her eggs... i also bring her food and water so she dosnt have to move much.... (dont peck the hand that feeds you is proably what shes thinking)

My cat got in there one day and walked over to her and she got REALLY fluffy and growling... cat took one look and said NOPE.. and hauled butt out of there!
hide.gif

Funny story... we were taking care of our naibors chickens while they were out of town and they have one rooster...

well i was in the barn bottle feeding a calf and i hear my wife scream and come running into the barn (shes like really scared of birds to begin with) and she was crying and saying the rooster chased her across the yard.... well ... i wasnt having any of that! no one makes my wife cry...

went out to the chickens... sure enough this rooster was just looking for a fight.... well i work in the oil feild and i have steel toe boots.... and i was already mad...
somad.gif

i just was just minding my own buisness picking up were my wife left off and go figure i feel something hit my legs from behind... i whipped around.... squared off with the rooster.... he comes at me.... i gave him a wholliping kick right in the chest/throat area... he tumbled back... came at me again... rinse and repeat... and after the second time he ran off... funny....didnt hear him crow for a solid 3 days... I thought maybe i collapse his vocal chords (well he did end up crowing after a week).... But every night after that incident id go in the coop to lock everyone up id stare down that rooster and he wouldnt even glance in my direction....

turns out im the Alpha male of my naibors flock now :p

haha she puffs up ... only gotten peck once.... but she will let me pet her while shes on her eggs... i also bring her food and water so she dosnt have to move much.... (dont peck the hand that feeds you is proably what shes thinking)

My cat got in there one day and walked over to her and she got REALLY fluffy and growling... cat took one look and said NOPE.. and hauled butt out of there!
hide.gif

Funny story... we were taking care of our naibors chickens while they were out of town and they have one rooster...

well i was in the barn bottle feeding a calf and i hear my wife scream and come running into the barn (shes like really scared of birds to begin with) and she was crying and saying the rooster chased her across the yard.... well ... i wasnt having any of that! no one makes my wife cry...

went out to the chickens... sure enough this rooster was just looking for a fight.... well i work in the oil feild and i have steel toe boots.... and i was already mad...
somad.gif

i just was just minding my own buisness picking up were my wife left off and go figure i feel something hit my legs from behind... i whipped around.... squared off with the rooster.... he comes at me.... i gave him a wholliping kick right in the chest/throat area... he tumbled back... came at me again... rinse and repeat... and after the second time he ran off... funny....didnt hear him crow for a solid 3 days... I thought maybe i collapse his vocal chords (well he did end up crowing after a week).... But every night after that incident id go in the coop to lock everyone up id stare down that rooster and he wouldnt even glance in my direction....

turns out im the Alpha male of my naibors flock now :p
LMAO. Yeah, mine was pretty determined too and he was a big tall nn. I really liked him until he started that.

It's actually good for the hen to get off the nest and eat and poop. That way she's not doing it around the nest and eggs. Smart cat.

Back
Top Bottom