first time with a broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anniemary, Jan 26, 2010.

1. anniemary

anniemary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    I have a hen that has been in the same nest, same position for two days now. I think this means she's gone broody, right? It's freezing up here in WI, but I think she's sitting on a wire nest that still has some hay/litter left on it. She's sitting with her behind toward the outside.

How do I take care of her? What can I expect?

I've searched on this but can only find info on hatching eggs from an incubator.

Thanks for your help!

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
  3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I had a broody and I just kept taking her off the nest every time I was in the coop and she finally gave up. It is harder in the winter since you can't throw her outside. I am in MN so we are in similar climates. If she seems to be attached to one nest you might try blocking her out of that nest. Good luck.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    First [​IMG] I'm in Waupaca. Where are you?

Second. I got a broody hen too. Another BYC person gave me some fertile BCM today to put under my girl. We'll see in 21 days if it was all worth it.

Come on over to the "cheeseheads" in the Where are you? forum. There's alot of people there that can help you with this. And we're all local. [​IMG] And you don't HAVE to like the Packers. [​IMG] We got a great crew there. Nicest people.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=245700

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Is she sitting on fertile eggs, or are you trying to get her to stop being broody?

6. anniemary

Mar 23, 2009
    Actually, I don't know if she's sitting on eggs, I'm just assuming. If she is, they are most likely fertile because we have too roosters and many of our eggs have been fertilized.

I read the lengthy directions posted above and what I'm worried about is:

1. I don't have space to separate her from the others
    2. I'm worried she will hatch baby chicks when it's way too cold

Perhaps I should remove them so they don't hatch and try this again in warmer weather, yes???

Also, I am so stupid...I didn't realize broody meant they start to sit in one favorite place. I thought it meant she laid some eggs and wants to hatch them. Or am I still wrong?

7. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Broody is a state hens go into.. means they want to hatch some chicks.

8. anniemary

Mar 23, 2009
    Update, my husband went out to check on her and she was sitting on one egg which he took. He said it was like she was in a trance (which I know means going broody).

So, now that she doesn't have eggs under her, what should I do now? Observe? keep checking for eggs? discourage her from sitting in that nest?

Thank you for your patience with me!

9. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, take her off the nest and put her in the run in the morning. [​IMG] You may have to keep her off the nest a while to break her.

10. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    What do you want to do? If you want to hatch eggs under her, you could do it. It is cold, and you probably will want to wait until March to put eggs under her. But here is the thing, lots of birds, in my experience, go broody, but they aren't all good at it. If you think you will want to use her for hatching, try a dry run. Put some golf balls under her (or fake eggs). Then you can see if she will be any good. Whether she gives up, or lets the other hens kick her out. It won't work if you put eggs under her, but the other hens force her out of the box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by