First time with a Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ErinG, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My 8 month old Buff became broody today. I don't have a cage to put her in, but I can lock her out of the nest box area (none of my other chickens are laying yet). My question is will she continue to lay eggs here and there? She skipped a normal day yesterday and laid one late today. She is usually right on schedule, one early in the morning, one in the afternoon, one right before bed, then a day off and repeat. I don't want to lock her out if she needs to lay, but I also don't want her laying around all day pooping in the nest box. I pulled her out tonight and threw her on the roost, but she was adamant about being in the nest box. My next question, if she is still broody next week, I will be out of town. My boyfriend doesn't have the time to "tend" to the chickens like I do. Will she get herself some food and water on her own if she's not broken by then?
    One more thing, I was planning on worming everyone in the next week. At first I thought this would be a good time - no wasted eggs, but I don't want to dose her with medicine if she isn't eating and drinking normally, I'm sure the drugs are hard to process. Thoughts on this? I was going to use Valbazen for the first round, since they are under one year old.

2. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:Did I understand well? One in the morning, one in the afternoon, one before bed?? you mean eggs? It can't be possible. [​IMG] Your other hens are laying. And broody hens don't lay.

3. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:broody hens don't lay.

4. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    First day she lays on in the morning. Second day in the afternoon. Third day at night. Fourth day she takes a day off. I didn't write that very clearly the first time. She is my only layer.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by