First time with a incubator

CTurner9606

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
I have no choice but to take my guinea eggs.
I’m about to add my guinea eggs to my incubator, the temp is 100.0 and the humidity is 52%
is this ok?
First time with a incubator, super nerv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 3
I have no choice but to take my guinea eggs.
I’m about to add my guinea eggs to my incubator, the temp is 100.0 and the humidity is 52%
is this ok?
First time with a incubator, super nerv
It’s probably fine, though I’ve gone to a drier incubation, more like 25-45% until lockdown. Do you have a separate calibrated thermometer to double check the temperature? Is that a styrofoam incubator? I rotate my eggs around my styrofoam incubator to help even out the effects of hot spots. How are you turning the eggs? Best of luck!!! :fl

The inside is styrofoam, it’s my first time with a incubator. I’ll put the eggs in tomorrow. I’m watching it this evening to make sure it’s ok. I wanted it closer to 50, besides taking the water out, I’m not sure how to lower the %.
I’m kinds in a difficult place. Found 2 guinea hens on a nest in the middle of my field under a wood pile. I know they have been in the nest for about 5 days now. They will not survive the predators, I’m taking them to save my hens. The % is at 53 now, should I remove some water and start over?
It has a automatic egg turner.

The inside is styrofoam, it’s my first time with a incubator. I’ll put the eggs in tomorrow. I’m watching it this evening to make sure it’s ok. I wanted it closer to 50, besides taking the water out, I’m not sure how to lower the %.
I’m kinds in a difficult place. Found 2 guinea hens on a nest in the middle of my field under a wood pile. I know they have been in the nest for about 5 days now. They will not survive the predators, I’m taking them to save my hens. The % is at 53 now, should I remove some water and start over?
It has a automatic egg turner.
919886CA-2EA3-40D9-B67A-8A1081C0E941.png

Yes, I totally agree with saving your hens as the primary goal! Ok so this is just what I would do... Dump all of the water out and try to check the temperature at multiple spots in the incubator, at about the height of the top of the egg. It’s better to have it too cool than too hot so I adjust to 99.5 as the average temp at about 3/4-1 inch above the turner. Do you have a flashlight or candler? If you can draw a rough idea of the air cell on the outside of the egg with a pencil, then that will help you to monitor the air cell size, which is the best way to adjust humidity, IMO. If the air cell is growing too fast or the humidity is registering below 25% or so, then you can always add a little water to the incubator later.

Yes, I totally agree with saving your hens as the primary goal! Ok so this is just what I would do... Dump all of the water out and try to check the temperature at multiple spots in the incubator, at about the height of the top of the egg. It’s better to have it too cool than too hot so I adjust to 99.5 as the average temp at about 3/4-1 inch above the turner. Do you have a flashlight or candler? If you can draw a rough idea of the air cell on the outside of the egg with a pencil, then that will help you to monitor the air cell size, which is the best way to adjust humidity, IMO. If the air cell is growing too fast or the humidity is registering below 25% or so, then you can always add a little water to the incubator later.
Definitely bokmarked this for future reminder..if I ever do that again..

Back
Top Bottom