first time with a sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jengrinager, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jengrinager

jengrinager In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    I have an Orpington that is about 2.5 years old and she has become sick. I first noticed symptoms this past Monday (3 days ago) and she was exhibiting lethargy, diarrhea, and not eating or drinking. I immediately took her to the vet and they prescribed an antibiotic hoping that would do the trick. It perked her up slightly that she was at least up and walking around and drinking water. I got a probiotic with electrolytes to put in her water and she drank quite a bit and is continuing to drink a normal amount, but still not eating. I bathed her butt yesterday because she was matted from the diarrhea and this also seemed to perk her up for a short while. Today, I brought her inside and she has just been laying there drinking and not getting up at all. It is getting down to 31 degrees at night and 55 degrees during the day here and it is very wet a damp outside from an unusual amount of rain we have been having. Any other suggestions of what I could do for her? I have also steamed some corn for her trying to entice her to eat, but no luck.

2. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    Thankfully, birds can go longer without food than they can without water, so her drinking is a good sign. Do you have any mealworms? My birds always love those, or maybe some scrambled eggs?

LittleCheepers likes this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m sorry your hen is not well. Can we see a photo of her? Was it an avian vet that saw her? Was she examined properly? (crop, vent, abdomen, throat, ears, etc).

First and foremost, keep her inside where it’s warm (sounds like you are already doing that.)
    Have you added any new flock members lately? Did the vet perform a fecal float?
    Do you have any poultry vitamins you can direct dose her with? Will she eat some raw or scrambled egg?

LittleCheepers likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Photos of your hen and her poop may be helpful.
    She is 2.5yrs old - when was the last time she laid an egg?
    Did they vet perform testing form worms and coccidiosis?
    Any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

Your vet prescribed antibiotics, did they indicate what they thought might be wrong with her - infection, reproductive problem, etc.? (Did they give you a diagnosis)

You mention that she is drinking, she is continuing to drink - check her crop first thing in the morning before she drinks or eats and tell us what it feels like (it should be empty).

5. I know nothing about sick chickens but is she heat stressed? She may want something cool to cuddle. just a thought.

6. jengrinager

Sep 22, 2016
    Tonight was the first night that she was inside and this morning I made her a little scrambled egg and she gobbled it up immediately. She is standing and looking a little better. I think we have turned a corner. The vet examined her without me being present, so I don't know for sure how thoroughly he examined her. He is the only vet in our area that I know of that sees chickens. He did not make a diagnosis, but prescribed antibiotics hoping it would do the trick. I think he did say that her abdomen was not hard.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's good that she ate this morning!
    I hope she gets better soon :)

8. jengrinager

Sep 22, 2016
    She went back to not eating and I took her back to the vet. They have discovered that her crop is impacted and are keeping her over the weekend to help her out. They have already done one empty of her crop and it went well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well, but I am encouraged.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she been laying eggs recently? Reproductive problems can sometimes lead to crop impaction, due to the increased pressure on abdominal organs. It is good that your vet discovered the problem on the second visit. Hopefully, she will get straightened out. I’m sure that @Wyorp Rock , the person who helped you earlier, will check in later.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear you re-consulted the vet. I hope they are able to get her crop cleared.
    Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: