First time with baby chick??? help??

Bunnytamer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
Tricities
So I got a new baby hen and she is so cute and chirps alot..
I got water and food for her, safe bedding, heating pad AND lights.
Is it okay if I keep her inside for a few weeks while I get her cages set up? or should I do that now?
Also is anyone going to Benton Franklin fair & rodeo?

HI, your baby chick needs a friend. You need at least 2. That may be why she chirps a lot.

D.gif

Ok so I have more questions..
Why does she hiccup in her sleep and peck at her poop?
How fast will she grow? ( She's One Week 2 this Sunday )
here in Washington it's hot and cold and idk where I should keep her we have our rabbits in our garage
should I give her the heating pad outside?

She needs heat till she is fully feathered, depending on the breed she could get big or stay small, she does need a friend you can get one on CL for a few bucks. I keep mine in my coop with a heat lamp, but you can keep her in the garage or house as long as she is warm.

Welcome to BYC and gratz on your new chick. It's a good idea to at least have 1 more friend if not 2. They like to have friends. They change really fast in the first few weeks. It's exciting to watch! Some grow faster then others. She should have a heat lamp keeping her warm and an area to get away from it. The temp should be about 90-95 right now at a week old, reducing the heat by 5 degrees each week. I keep mine inside my family room where I can watch them. My kids like to sit next to the brooder and stare at them for hours. LOL They peck at everything but I've never seen mine hiccuping. Not sure about that. Again gratz and so glad you joined us here in BYC!

I came here a few months ago for bunny reasons, but i got this new chick so, i have more reasons to be on the chicken forum! heh :p

Bunnies are fun! I miss my Rocky greatly. He was a Holland Lop. My friend accidentally killed him while I was away on vacation. :( I haven't gone on vacation in 6 plus years now because I'm too afraid to leave my animals again in another person's care.

I unfortunately don't have any family out here and the family I visit won't allow the animals. I told my friend to not give my rabbit pumpkin seeds, to just give him what I gave her and gave her a list of things he can have. Her daughter fed him some cooked ones they just made. He ate too many and basically choked on them. siiigh :(

Back
Top Bottom