1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time with baby chicks- Need Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hasaanzia, May 20, 2016.

1. hasaanzia

hasaanzia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2015
    I just 2 orpingtons and rhodeisland chicks from a cousin.... They are like 2-3 weeks old, Its summer in here like 44-46 Degree Celsius in here . Can anybody please help me out that they need heat through a bulb or is it already too hot for them ? Urhent help needed !

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    If the chicks are unable to get away from 44-46 C. they will die (too hot). For two chicks a twenty watt bulb is big enough and at 2-3 weeks old they need to be able to get away from the heat.

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks are vulnerable to temperature extremes until they are completely feathered, usually around five weeks old. Until then, you need to keep their environment as close to their body temperature as possible. Right around 35C would be about right.

You certainly don't want to add any more heat to an already very hot environment. If you can't provide a cooler place for the chicks, then giving them plenty of shade and plenty of cool fresh water will help, also good ventilation with moving air, like a fan or breeze.

4. hasaanzia

hasaanzia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2015
    That seems like a good idea .... Thanks guys :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by