First time with brooding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by supermom1, Apr 17, 2009.

1. supermom1

supermom1 New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    This is the first time any of my hens have sat on their eggs. My hen has laid eight eggs and has been setting on them since April 1 and she laid them on the top set of nests, which are about three to four feet off the ground. We want her to raise these chicks, but I am worried about the chicks falling to their death to follow their momma.Do I have a reason to worry or will they be okay with her that high off the ground?

2. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    My hens have went broody to they can sure be moody sometimes. All my hens always decide to hatched eggs in the top nest to I know how you feel. The chicks start to grow feathers in a few days the can fly down on thier own. But if you are scared that they may get hurt after about 72 hours you can help them down mom and all. Just make sure they have somewhere that is easy to get to at night. But if I were you just leave them alone the mom will take care of them. GOODLUCK!!

3. supermom1

supermom1 New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    Thanks, I wanted to leave them alone, but wasn't sure if I should. Can the chicks get back up to the top nest after they fly out, or should I have a nest on the ground prepared for them?

4. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    I would make a nest some where safe and easy to get to. They want be able to get up there for awhile. The mom want leave them she'll just use the nest on the ground. Hope this works out for you:D

5. supermom1

supermom1 New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    Thanks, I will go ahead and get a nest ready for her down low so it's ready when the chicks are ready for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by