First time with broody, 3 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clickdb, Jun 18, 2016.

1. clickdb

clickdb Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an australorp that insisted on going broody, it had been trying off and on for weeks. Finally I gave it 3 eggs on June 10th, and it's been sitting on them since. The other day I found it had changed nests, and was off the eggs for long enough for them to get cold. I moved her back to the correct nest, but found her moved again the next day. I moved the eggs to under her where they have been since. Would the eggs she's sitting on still hatch even though they got to "room temperature" a couple times? I candled them last night and they clearly are (or were) developing.
    Also, the nest is up high, and my early attempts to move her to a lower box failed repeatedly. If/when they hatch, what's the best way to move them and mamahen to a safer place?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Very, very possible they'll still hatch. She might have been switching nest boxes because someones been bullying her out of the original one. Or, she just might not be the sharpest tool in the shed (I have a few of those). Either way, if she's content in her newly chosen location, I'd leave her. Once the chicks hatch, she'll likely keep them in the nest for a couple of days so they can finish absorbing their yolks and gain strength. If you leave her, you'll likely find that when you open up the coop one day, everyone will have made it to the floor on their own, but you can move them down yourself if you're really worried about the fall. Just go in at dark, and pull the hen and chicks from the nest and set them on the coop floor. I prefer not to separate mine unless I have to, but I've found that after the eggs hatch, the hens don't really seem to be attached to their nest site anymore and they take the move well. I move them at night, but you'd probably be okay letting momma and babies toodle around with the rest of the flock. I suppose that depends on if you're comfortable with that or not.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. urbannarnia27

urbannarnia27 Out Of The Brooder

Such a helpful thread! Thanks for the question and answer. My Cochin has been broody for nearly 2 weeks and my friend gave me 5 eggs due to be hatched around Wednesday. She seems wayyyyyyy happier now that she actually has something to sit on! My nest is also higher up, but in the outdoor nest inside our chicken enclosure. Of course she had to choose this nest to go broody in when there were 8 good ones inside the coop!! It's my first go at hatching chicks and I'm super nervous. Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

4. clickdb

clickdb Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wanted to say that two of the three eggs are in fact doing well, candled them tonight and could see the chicks moving inside 2. The 3rd looks like it quit on day 4-5 based on candling pics on here. (Today is day 9)
    I have to say it was so hot here today the eggs don't really need mama hen sitting on them. She won't leave the box, but she was just standing over the eggs lol.
    Thanks for the sharing your knowledge, I am gonna try and let the chicks do it their way if possible, I'd rather not have to pull them out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You'd be amazed at how little you will have to do when hatching and raising chicks with a broody. These days i let momma get on with it, and only move her and chicks to ground level, after hatching. Apart from putting some food and water down in the coop for them - momma does the rest. They are fine with the rest of the flock, and its the best way to ensure that they are integrated from day 1.

CT

6. urbannarnia27

Wonderful. At what point do you move the nest? The nest momma chose is a good 18 inches off the ground. Construct a little ramp?? Thanks!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I move them to the floor once all the viable eggs have hatched. I use 6 inches of dry grass clippings as bedding in my coop and the girls lay there, and momma settles down with her chicks in a nesting area. It depends on your set up as to what you may wish to do. Once the chicks are hatched, in my experience, the momma has no particular interest in the original nest - she will happily choose where to nest with them, on the ground. I personally would put them on the ground, but there's no reason why you shouldn't make a ramp for the chicks to use. We all do things differently, depending on our circumstances and approach and i am simply sharing my experience and not necessarily recommending it. As long as you have faith in the momma to look after her chicks, theres not too much that can go wrong, whatever you do. [​IMG]

CT

8. urbannarnia27

@CTKen Does she "launch" them out of the nest when it's up higher? I think I will move them once they are hatched and she seems willing. I want to integrate them with the flock but will definitely have to look for holes around the enclosure (haven't had to think that small scale before, haha!)
    Would appreciate your advice about something else- last night I went into my coop to check on things and momma had launched 2 of the 5 eggs she was sitting on out of the nest. Both eggs were ok on the ground and I hadn't been gone long so they weren't cold. Some of these threads suggest they do this when the eggs are bad- and they just know this. I know the eggs were ok when I got them because my friend who incubates regularly gave them to me and she said they were on track and looking well (via candling). They were already 18 days yesterday and due to hatch by Wednesday of this coming week. So I happen to have another broody cochin sitting on a nest for the last week inside the coop and I offered them to her (and she promptly accepted them, putting them under her and puffing out like a proud momma-to-be. Do you think I can expect these to hatch or did the first hen launch them because they're bad? My husband thinks she might have rejected them because there too were many for her? She definitely has arranged the nest and the eggs quite perfectly under/around her.
    thanks in advance!

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    From what I have read, if momma leaves the nest, the chicks will follow, regardless of the height of the nest. ( I use plastic basins, so I can move them).

Personally, I have never had a broody reject unviable eggs, but Im not suggesting it may not happen. You could candle the eggs, but as hatch day is near, I would leave them and wait and see. Do let us know how it goes.

Good luck

Ct

10. urbannarnia27

@CTKen how long should I allow the eggs that got rejected by the first broody be sat upon. An extra day or 2 if they don't (start hatching by Wednesday, day 21)? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by