First time with Bumblefoot :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tivona, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    So my duck Peaches has been limping for three days and I have been checking her foot but today it was clearly swollen and fevered. [​IMG]I had never had any of them get bumblefoot before. I followed the directions in the Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to" thread. Only real problem I hit (other then her hating me now) was with wrapping the foot at the end. How is the best way to wrap a webbed foot? [​IMG]Any tips would be great as I am sure I will be disinfecting and re-wrapping it tomorrow.

2. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    Wrapping duck feet is so frustrating! I ended up wrapping with vetwrap and then going over it with... duck tape! And the sneaky duck still got out of it!

Mine was bandaged for a different reason though, it was an injury.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use a nonstick gauze pad cut to size, and then thin strips of waterproof bandage tape, and wrap all that with vet wrap, taping the top of the wrap to the leg with a wide piece of bandage tape.

Some ducks are good at getting out of that stuff.

Also, are you keeping her separate, in a clean area? That will make a big difference, since if she sheds the bandage, the environment is much cleaner than the usual duck shelter.

Use abundant triple antibiotic cream.

4. Tivona

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    She didn't get the bandage off last night which really surprised me. I do have her separated with just one other girl for company. They both are on antibiotics now. The other hen is having another health issue (unrelated) so the antibiotics should do them both some good. Currently they are running around in my front yard and at night they will be in their own little pen.

I used Povidone-Iodine Solution 10% for disinfecting the bumbefoot last night and I'll be disinfecting it at least once daily till I see its healing well. I did notice that this morning her leg is not as hot so I take that as a good sign. The heat from the bumblefoot last night was all the way to her ankle. Seeing as it looked fine 4 days ago when she started limping...yikes that is fast. Anyway I will be keeping them both separated from the other birds and keeping their water extra fresh. I'll keep doing the best I can with the bandaging. I used vet wrap but I try the bit of waterproof bandage with the gauze like you said right over the spot. I used and will continue using Neosporin on her foot under the bandage. Any other tips or suggestions on this?

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I simply rub Alcohol into the abrasion. It's worked for me both times I had to do it.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you can find the thin craft foam sheet (Walmart) that kids use you can trim as a "shoe" sole placing gauze on it, then wrapping with vet wrap. This gives extra protection to the sore underside of the foot.

7. Tivona

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks! That sounds like a great idea. So far she hasn't gotten the bandages off but I think the vet wrap with the craft sheet might be more comfortable for her as well as easier in the actual re-wrapping of the foot. The heat is still there but both the foot and the leg are not near as hot, and everything has been staying very clean. I will try to get some of foam sheet for her and try that. I have been worried that the wrap by its self might start to pinch over time, even though I have been very careful in the wrapping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by