1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time with chickens in the yard.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Poly318, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Poly318

Poly318 Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Southern Alberta
    Hello. Just a rookie here. Ended up here after several Google searches. Figured I'd be farther ahead joining and coming to you folks for any questions or thoughts I might have.
    So far it's a pretty basic setup. Got an old motorhome I converted into a coop. Gutted some of it. Put OSB down over the carpet. Made a roosting area where the table had been. And built a door with a ramp into a chain link dog kennel to give them some grass.
    So far I have 6 leghorn cage hens. They had to learn to walk right off the get go. Slowly the feathers are coming back and they are getting use to their new surroundings.
    Plans are for a rooster and maybe a couple different breed hens. Along with a larger fenced off area in the spring.
    Now to look around.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Sounds like a great setup! What breeds are you looking for?

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    When you say cage hens I assume you mean retired production egg layers. So great you are giving them their Golden years Freedom. Ask anything you need to know. BTW your converted motorhome coop Is an Idea I was suggesting all along. (travel trailer mostly) I like to repurpose things whenever possible.
    Welcome and WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

4. Poly318

Poly318 Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Southern Alberta
    Well the motorhome sure made for a quick and easy coop. Not sure how warm it will be in the winter months though.
    Yes the hens were previously production egg layers. 15 months old. So far I'm averaging 5 eggs a day from the 6 hens.
    Not sure what kind of hens I will be looking for yet. Or if I will have many options. Brown eggs would be nice. Or even a brooding hen perhaps. But I think a rooster will come first. Preferably something not too flighty

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    :welcome

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Poly318, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like a great use for an old motor home! Best wishes to you and your flock and thank you for joining BYC!

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It would be fun to see a picture of your motorhome coop if you'd care to share.

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by