FIRST TIME with chickens in WINTER

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Sep 23, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    ok i just started having chickens in the spring time this year u guys been so helpfull on what to do during the hot summers now just wondering what u guys do for the cold winters from keeping them freezing to death has me very worried i live in arkansas so we can have been winters just like BAD summers any hints on how should i get my coop ready for winter

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    The great thing is that chickens come with down coats and many breeds tolerate cold much better than they do heat. My first winter with chickens was last year and the main problem I had was not enough ventillation - a few combs got frostbitten and had to be treated due to humidity in the coop. So, as strange as it may sound, make sure you have plenty of ventillation high up during the winter - no drafts right on the roosts or where the chickens are, but plenty of air flow high up to draw out the humidity and keep things dry. Other than that, as long as the birds have a sheltered area, they should be fine. Our winters here can have lows in the single and negative digits and we have stretches where the highs never reach freezing. Other BYCers have it much worse! And yet the chickens do just fine as long as they have a draft-free shelter and plenty of ventillation.

3. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that ventilation is important. If there is frost build up inside your coop increase airflow. Keep the birds out of wind and wet and they will be fine. Here are some ideas for winterizing your coop .

4. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    thanks so much now im less worried about winter i'll make sure that my bf make room to vent out and keep drafts out once again TY!!! finally can sleep better knowing my birds wont be freezing to death haha

5. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Great article on winterizing. We tried a regular Incandescent bulb while integrating the brooder chicks in one side of the coop and the light caused crazyness with the elders. Amazon has the Zoo Med Nocturnal Infrared Incandescent Heat Lamp for nine dollars. Very good advice.

6. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I got the idea from my local farm co-op!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by