first time with chickens

maria kane

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2017
I started with 5 chickens and later adopted 7 more. I am having trouble keeping the big girls away from the little girls. The latest brood love to be outside and run around and play but the big girls come over and disrupt their fun. I have to intervene and then I have to lock up the younger ones in their coop. are they ever going to get along. I love to see them all roaming around the field but I can't because the little ones are half the size of the older girls who can be mean.

I use to have that problem----a long time ago. I Fixed it my having more than one pen and more than one place for them to "some-what" free range. Now I do not have to deal with my young chicks being terrified/picked on/hurt/etc.

They have to establish a pecking order unfortunately. Make sure they don't harass them enough to draw blood. But if you want them to all roam together, they have to know the order that they fall in.

Welcome to BYC.
They should eventually get along...you may want to keep them separated for a while longerhttps://youtu.be/iftP1gO8HCo

The kindest, gentlest way to integrate new to old, is the "Look but don't touch," method of integration. The search box should be able to find it for you.

Back
Top Bottom