First Time With Cornish X's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Coralietg, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    We've wanted to have meat chickens for a long time. To be honest, I've never killed an animal and imagining that part is difficult for me. We made the jump when I was half way through reading other threads and decided to just get the order over with :lol:

16 Cornish X's arrived 4th of March (Tuesday). I started some fermented feed on Sunday night.

ETA: These pictures are from today. I'm feeling rather self conscious about how filthy they look. This is the third time I've cleaned them out since we got them on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

The chick on the far left, I got from TSC. They told me it was a Cornish X, I'm not sure if it is. I put this in with the Cornish's after it kept pecking at a chick in the standard chick brooder.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing it's normal for them to be so wretchedly filthy from practically climbing into their food. We call them the piranha pigs for how the descend onto the food.

I kept them in the house for 5 days before the smell became too much to bear. We just put them out under the carport on a bench. Using one of the galvanized trough things from TSC. Made a tight lid using hardware cloth. Low of 50F tonight, so I think they should be OK.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    They're cute! Is the fermented feed wet? That's probably why they're so messy. lol

Will you have heat on them tonight when it's 50? They may be too small to be able to handle that with no heat if they're only a week old.

Good luck with them! It's well worth it!

3. Coralietg

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I should've been clearer! Yes, they have heat.

[​IMG]

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I figured you did, but thought I'd ask..... [​IMG] They should be fine. My chicks have been in our 40 degree garage (with heat!) and are doing fine.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Great looking birds. Don't feel bad about how they look. Mine looked even worse than that. The FF (in my case) helped with the filthy look. You know that their living conditions are clean and you are taking great care of them is all that matters. They will look like that. It's not your fault. It's their fault. The filthy little buggars. :lau

Good luck with them and I look forward to following your stories. :thumbsup

6. Coralietg

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    Currently 12 days old! I put them outside in a pen for a little while today while I cleaned out their pig stye.

[​IMG]

Their massive crops look very disturbing sometimes. I was surprised at how much heat they give off too, it was like they all have fevers.

[​IMG]

With a ship mate, both received in the same shipment. I'm brooding the meat and standards separately.

I'm definitely glad I started with 16! It's a lot of work.

7. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I got my 30 the day before you. Its 30 degrees outside right now. My "plan" was to get them in the tractor this weekend, ain't gonna happen. Supposed to snow tonight.
    Yours look good, enjoy.

8. Coralietg

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    It's about 68F here today. They were out about 30 minutes while I cleaned both brooders out, a couple of the Cornish were shivering a little by the time I brought them in. They all still felt like a furnace though.

My plan was a tractor by 3 weeks old. My partner needs to get a move on, he's over-thinking the whole design phase.

9. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Ok what's the latest? As fast as they were growing, I expect they're about grown. [​IMG] My babies are coming on the 27th and I'm not quite prepared yet, but will be when it's time.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I got mine on Feb 27th, so we're close. I too have never raised meaties, so it's definitely a learning curve. They are eating/pooping machines!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by