First Time with day old chicks today!

DrakeJake

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Thorsby Alberta
I was at the post office at 7am before the first girl arrived to open the door! I got my very first box of day old chicks and I know I was far more stressed then the chicks were. They were peeping up a storm from the moment I wrapped a nice blanket around the box (its snowing out and still cold) all the way home (2blocks) I had the jeep nice and warm so they never got a chance to catch a chill. The moment i unwrapped the box and set it in the brooder box they were all excited and peeping continually. I picked each one and showed them the water while others were popping out, oh my gosh I was frantic to not lose track of who got their beak wet! Well it's 5 hours later now and they are doing just excellent. They have a rhythm going on, they run around peeping eating and drinking for about 15 min then gather under the heat lamp for a 2 min snooze and start all over again. I have checked all their fluffy butts for pasty butt and had only two with poop dried on the feathers around their little hole, I have also had my hand in with them constantly and they are very curious. I got an even bigger surprise today than just little peepers, they came with two dozen eggs also. I called the hatchery and told them all my peeps were alive and thanked them for the eggs (thinking this was suppose to be sample eggs of the eggs to expect) they said "what eggs, you received fertilized eggs by mistake" I laughed and they told me to either eat them or hatch them! I am now trying to find out the quickest simplest way to make an incubator. The eggs are marked red rock so here's hoping I get an incubator going soon.

My brooder is simply a tv cabinet that was un-used. it is 5ft by 3ft and 15 inches high on the sides. I placed a 2by4 across the top and it will hold my hanging feeder when they get a little bigger. I also have a roll of chicken wire to go over top. I have the cabinet sitting on my kitchen table. The table has a layer of thick cardboard then heavy plastic then newspaper then shavings then paper towel...I think I got it figured out! the infared lights sits in the corner and since the chicks came with 4 sheets of some kind of straw stuff I put them under the heat lamp. I got stress-aid in the water 1teaspoon per gallon of tepid water and of course the marbles. I ordered non vaccinated chicks so I have medicated feed. I order the mereks vac and NO beak trimming. I call my chicks after my youngest daughter Ashley ha ha, i had to use her credit card for ordering so she gets that honour. All the Ashley girls are quite content and adorable.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new chicks, they are adorable. The many little Ashleys look like they are quite happy. That is funny about the hatching eggs, hope some of them hatch out for you. Don't know if you have seen them, but there are a bunch of homemade incubators in the Coops section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures Most farm stores this time of year will also carry some sorts of styrofoam incubators that are reasonably priced.

Thank you flock master and yes i did visit that section but I have been so stressed and now tired in getting ready i couldn't concentrate on any one. ( i needed to take the stress aid) with all the excitement i tried to lay down, couldnt sleep so i went to the local hardware store across the street and bought a small styrofoam container. i turned it upside down so the top lid is the bottom since it was quite a bit bigger then the container bottom, i cut a hole just smaller then the size of an 8by 10 picture frame and with double sided tape i place the picture frame glass against the hole. i cut a hole on top for a light. now other then finding out correct humidity level and temperature for heat i am ready. Thanks again I appreciate your comments.

Thanks very much griggy, adorable and they were incredibly active from 7 when i got them this morning until 12noon. I measured the stress aid wrong initially, they got 1 teaspoon to a quart of water instead of 1 teaspoon to a gallon, oops! tired stressed mamma here
roll.png
everyone is good though, the hatchery told me the only damage would be "hyper chicks"
wee.gif
and so I did end up having a good laugh at the whole thing...I had my chicks on steroids! to start
ya.gif
ha ha what a newbie mistake story

Back
Top Bottom