First time with ducklings HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Littleducky, May 23, 2008.

1. Littleducky

Littleducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    La Center, Wa
    I have 8 ducklings that hatched between yesterday and today. They don't seem interested in there water or food at all. I dunk there bills, they might take a small drink, a little lick at food and then back to the lamp they run. Will they eat or am I just not doing something right? Please help!!!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They're still living off their yolk sac.....I wouldn't get concerned about it the first 2 or 3 days.

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    This is just speculation, but is the food and water a long way from the heat lamp and is it somewhat chilly outside of the lamp? They may be more interested in keeping warm. If that's the case, I'd re-locate the food and water closer to the lamp.

4. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Ducks as well as chicks do not require food for 2-3 days, that's how the hatchery can ship them by mail, they draw in the yolk prior to hatching and can be just fine for a few days. Just make sure you have a never ending supply of food and water and when they are ready they will eat. Good luck and enjoy them![​IMG]

5. Littleducky

Littleducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    La Center, Wa
    Thanks so much for all of the help. I wont start to worry yet. I did move there food and water closer to the heat. I think that they like that better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by