first time with ducks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rachele anne, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    I've built a house and a big run fully enclosed in chicken wire and I have no idea what or where I should do about food and water in their enclosure

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Well, if possible they would love to have a kiddie pool of some kind. And do you mean what kind of food? mine were free range and we also fed them corn, oats, wheat berries, and layer pellets. We had 3 kiddie pools and they LOVED them. They were in them all the time.

3. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    I have a big kiddy pool for them too :).... I ment what to put there food in and where to locate it in there pen or their house and same as the water.... do they need a separate water source if they have a pool

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    oh!! Lol, sorry :) yeah, we put food inside because if it rained we didn't want it to go bad. On whether you need a separate water source of not depends on how clean you keep their pool. They will get their pool totally gross, but will still drink it. We changed the pool water everyday, so it was fairly clean, but if thats not possible, i would give them another water source, though i can't be sure how much they would use it. Also if the run and pool are not predator safe and you lock them up at night, i would offer them water.

5. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm making it completely enclosed by chicken wire and I do clean it out every day but every once in awhile I might skip a day but thank you for your help now I have an idea of what I should do :)

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Welcome :) We skipped a day sometimes too [​IMG]

7. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Does your chicken pen have a floor because predators can dig under!

8. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    Lol I don't think they mind

9. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    It's a big pen .. has no floor but I'm digging a trench around.the pen and burying metal sheets a foot in the ground and leaving two feet above

10. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah, neither do i lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by