First time with meat birds, went well, pics included

KatieH

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
Indiana
It's our first time with chickens, period. We ordered from Murray McMurray and got black giants and buff orpingtons for eggs, and cornish roasters for meat (hybrids like X, but grow slower by a few weeks). Great chicks, all but one were robust and healthy. We thought one BG was going to die but she pulled through.

22534_1370318340692_1313738387_1007541_7670445_n.jpg

They grew fast!

22534_1370384142337_1313738387_1007777_6529308_n.jpg

24388_1384087244906_1313738387_1040442_2289550_n.jpg

I had thought I was going to take them out to be processed, then I learned the place I thought I could do it at only does cattle. Oops (always check!) Then we had one die of CHF...a day later another lay on the ground, almost dead. So, impromptu butchering. We weren't ready, but all things considering, it went okay.

26583_1401950731482_1313738387_1080439_715040_n.jpg

I couldn't pluck the stupid wings for crap so I chopped them off, lol! I started taking away their food for half the day so I wouldn't lose anymore to CHF.

We were more prepared the next time, but it went worse. I had tied a string around her neck to pull the neck out so my husband could lop the head off. Of course, a fully alive chicken is considerably more feisty than a nearly dead one. So I asked my 8 year old to hold the string while I held the body down and just close her eyes. Mistake, of course. She panicked and my husband didn't kill the bird with the first hit, then froze until I yelled at him to finish it off. Yeesh. We were going to do more that day but decided to wait until our neighbors could give us a hand (they actually know what they're doing!)

I was trying to dry pluck asap after death. I don't recommend it. I wound up just plucking as much as I could then skinny it after I cut it up.

24602_1408796062611_1313738387_1096814_6744231_n.jpg

So, with the next round our neighbors did most of the work. Interesting since they don't speak English, but really just observing them helped a lot. She would hold down the body while her husband held the head and slit the throat. Then they dunked them in super hot water and gee, what a difference that makes on defeather! She showed me a more proper way to gut. Apparently I didn't get any pictures of that round, oops.

We ordered a kill cone. We'll do the throat slitting but I was kind of freaked out by holding the body while the bird bled out. So it's here and we're planning on butchering the last 6 (roasters) tomorrow, provided it doesn't rain.

So, a learning curve, but over all it went well. The meat is great, pretty similar in taste imo to store bought, though it has a lighter/cleaner taste (or maybe I'm just imagining that lol!!) I'm contemplating what to do next. I'd like to have another round of 25 to butcher before winter, but I'll be 9 months pregnant by October, so...I need to make up my mind! I don't want to be butchering at hugely pregnant.

Last edited:
you go girl.....my husband always does the killing and butchering...if you do a bunch, boil like 20-30 gals of water and throw in some parafin wax...helps to get the feathers off when you strip it off...I'd not be doing that if I was that pregnant! Good job.

Looking good! As a hint, get that water temp to about 140 for young birds in about one minute or when the big feathers pull out easily, you can take the bird out and roll all the feathers off!

Quote:
how old were they when you butchered them? i bought some of the same from tsc and they are about 5-6 weeks and are quite large and sit eating most of the time, i know they will need butchering as they eat and grow so fast and i don't think they could survive longterm because of this.

Quote:
The butchering doesn't bother me, but I really don't like the killing. Unfortunately my husband is terrified of chickens
roll.png
So the three he tried to kill, he wound up just making them suffer (like freaking out if it started to move then hack halfway through their necks, gah). I'm going to have someone else help me with the last 5. I thought the kill cone would help but apparently not, because he refuses to touch their heads. You can't kill a chicken without touching it at all.
roll.png

Chickbird, I did the pullets at 8 weeks and the boys are 11 weeks right now, so we're starting them.

When we did our chickens years ago hubby nailed two decent sizes nails into the block in a skinny "V". The you just put the head in the v and and hold the legs and pull. he said it worked everytime and no double chops.

Back
Top Bottom