First time worming my flock...

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello all!

So I actually saw tiny white worms in one of my girl’s poop today (small enough I had to look very closely to confirm :sick). I purchased some Safeguard for goats (fenbendazole) a while back and FINALLY found a suggested treatment dose (3 cc/mL per gallon of water). I also watched a video somewhere where the lady said the first time you treat your flock you should use something gentle so they don‘t get overloaded.

SO, my question is: should it be safe to treat them with the liquid Safeguard at the 3cc/mL per gallon, or should I cut that dose in half this first time around? Also, I was going to clean out their water buckets and give them fresh water with the Safeguard, then clean them out and re-dose two days later (so fresh dose them Monday, then refresh again on Wednesday).

Any thoughts or opinions? I’m just paranoid I’m going to overdose my chickens and kill them or not give them enough to fix the problem. Thanks!!

Hi there! How old are your chicks?
It’s a mixed flock, the oldest being an 8 year old hen, the youngest just turned a year old earlier this month. My largest girl is a Buff Orpington, the smallest a bantam roo (I have a few other bantam girls, but they are broody and can be treated with their roo in their own separate part of the coop/run complex). I wasn’t planning on treating the two chicks yet (they are 7 and 6 weeks and just started spending the day out in their own attached but separate space as well).

I suggest worming with Valbazen.
I have always used it, including the very first time. I put each dose in a small piece of bread and feed individually, but you can give by syringe, if you prefer. Repeat dose in 10 days.

Check out this post for specifics:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/valbazen-dosage.917698/post-13961411
Thanks! Where is the best place to purchase it, and are there different varieties (kind of like how Safeguard has the liquid and paste variety I think, and you can get it for cows or goats etc.)? I had been shopping around for a wormer and ended up getting the Safeguard (because I could easily treat the whole flock by putting it in the water). But it wouldn’t be too bad giving it to them individually (especially since I wouldn’t have to repeat until 10 days later) - I’d be treating 22 chickens all together. Figuring out the weight of everyone will be the challenge :barnie.

I suggest worming with Valbazen.
I have always used it, including the very first time. I put each dose in a small piece of bread and feed individually, but you can give by syringe, if you prefer. Repeat dose in 10 days.

Check out this post for specifics:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/valbazen-dosage.917698/post-13961411
Just Internet searched around and it looks like Valbazen isn’t sold in/can’t be shipped to California, which is probably why I checked it off my list back when I was first looking for dewormer :(. Maybe someone will chime in with more info on the Safeguard. Thanks again for your help!

Oh dang. Sorry about that.
Well, I suggest searching the forums on Safeguard and I'm sure you'll find more than a few people who use it, that you could message directly.
Good luck!

I used valbazen, and it worked great! Only problem was I was only able to purchase it in a 500ml container, which ranked up to about 50$. I only have 16 hens, so a bit excess, but it was recommended to me and the only working medicine my local farm and feed has.

Back
Top Bottom