First time!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickmamma29, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Chickmamma29

Chickmamma29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Hello everyone!

Very happy to have found this forum and wealth of chick knowledge!

I have searched the threads, but don't see the answer to a newbie question...
    I have placed my first chick pre order, and am now freaking out, as I believe that I made a huge newbie mistake!:/
    I ordered 6 chicks, and just noticed that I had picked ONE bantam, the rest regular. The Easter Egger I ordered is the bantam. Is this poor girl going to survive next to the full grown dinos when they are no longer the same size chicks??
    HELP, and thank you!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chickmamma29, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I will admit to having no experience with a flock of standard chickens which contained a bantam. I have, however, had large breeds (Black Giants) mixed with smaller breeds (Hamburgs) and they got along okay - the Hamburgs primarily just staying out of the way of the larger birds. I think the big advantage you have is that they will all grow up together and should be more accepting of each other that way. The bantam may be at the bottom of the pecking order but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be abused. Hope it all works out. Best wishes and and thanks for joining BYC!!

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Chickmamma29 [​IMG] Welcome!

I only have a small flock of bantams and have also not had a mixed flock size-wise. However, I have read of many who successfully do. I agree with redsoxs in that their growing up together is a definite advantage. Also, bantams can be quite plucky little things and you may find (s)he actually ends up ruling the roost.

Best wishes to you and your little ones when they arrive .. very exciting!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. I think your banty will do fine for the reasons the other greeters have given you. I've never seen a bantam EE but, I doubt that they are as small as seramas or silkies. My friend has bantam house pets- seramas and they kick butt.- Take over the dogs bed, pull food out of his dish, take off with his chew toys etc. Have to admit the dog is a good sport but, he is 40 lbs. and they are not.

If you are still very concerned maybe you could call in a change to a regular size EE.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with the other greeters, with raising them all together the bantam should be fine.

Thanks for joining us!

6. Chickmamma29

Chickmamma29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    I can't thank you all enough for the warm welcome and advise! You have made me feel better about my -mistake-, and perhaps this little girl is meant to be!!:D

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could always make your banty a house chicken pet. Check out "people with house chickens." It's a growing movement. There are even house pet ducks & geese - no lie.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by