First Timer After advice (just set silkie eggs)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matt1jsh, Jul 31, 2013.

1. matt1jsh

matt1jsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I have just set 18 silkie eggs i purchased from and friendly poultry fancier. I recieved the eggs via Express post this morning, and all arrived unharmed.(or so it seems)

I have a Brinsea Hatchmaker Still air incubator, which i have been regulating for the past few days, and currently have set at 102.2 f with thermometer set just above egg position, and another on ground level reading 36.5 dC. (i know its annoying one being dC and the other F, but its all i have, and they are dead accurate)

i am opting for the dry incubation method, so i have not filled the water wells, only added a few sprays of water, which i will repeat every 4 or so days.

i have placed the eggs in cartons with plastic rods underneath, so i can simply swivel carton from right to left rather than turning all by hand.

I have weighed each egg, numbered and marked each side with greylead, also candled each egg and noticed one had a detached air sac.
    there is also a very elongated egg which is near double the size of the others, but appears still to be a single yolk.

I left the eggs settle pointy end down for 3 hours, whilst bringing up to room temp, and the have now been in the bator for 5 hours and have just had their first turn (flip of the carton)

Am i doing the right thing???

I have read as much as possible, but thought if anyone had extra advice, or disagreed with my methods, now would be the best time....

many thanks in advance...

p.s. they are from a mixed flock that i have not seen, i hope if they hatch i get some interesting colours...

wish me luck

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

seems great - make sure the eggs are turning atleast 90 degrees.

good luck!!

3. matt1jsh

Jul 30, 2013
    Things seem to be going well, we are up to day 11, and down to 13 eggs... =) all fertile and develpoing well.

i weighed each today and was surprised to see some had lost about 11% while others only about 5%.

When candling it does seem some are further advanced than others, im not sure if i should be worried about this!

I was not sure if i should also turn down my bator as i was aiming for 102.0 - 102.2, but am finding it sometimes gets up near 102.7 around midday(bator instructions indicate ideal at 102.5 which seemed high to me)

Also I need to go away for a night at the beginning of day 17..... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Do i go into lockdown ealry or turn them when i return the following day, and then go into lockdown.
    I really hope they dont start to pip while i'm away

4. matt1jsh

Jul 30, 2013
    ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by