First timer...and I already screwed up!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Nov 23, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I went a little ebay happy yesterday, and won several auctions. I was assuming everyone would ship the eggs the next day...because all the auctions said they would. I paid them all immediately with paypal! Well, 2 out of 4 shipped today. With Thursday as a holiday, that means there could be several days between arrival. I only have 1 incubator.

What do I do? Can some go in 2 days later?

oh...they are all Silkies.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Do you have automatic turners, or will you be turning them by hand?

Lots of people do staggered hatches. Search 'Staggered Hatches' on this thread, and you'll get lots of info to read!!

3. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Turning by hand.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Shouldn't be a problem...just minimize how long the bator is open for the last few days when the others are no longer being turned, or you can build a cheap hatcher out of a styrofoam cooler (search the threads for it, lots of people have made them, myself included...super easy).

5. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I bought an incubator cause i was afraid I'd screw up trying to make one! lol

I ordered 6+ white eggs, 7 blue, 6+ lavender, & cucko and 12+mixed colors. The blue and the whites shipped. I was afraid if I ordered only 1 set that I may only get 1 or none hatch...so I ordered from different sellers thinking that might help my odds. Not sure if it really works that way, but it made sense at the time!

6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't you just let them sit on your counter (or wherever) for a couple days until they all arrive, or at least most of them? I know you want to set them as soon as possible, but it seems like holding onto the eggs you receive first would be a good idea. I don't have an incubator, so if I'm wrong, somebody speak up. I've only hatched eggs under my broody, and they were not all the same "age". I even took a couple out of the refridgerator and they hatched.

7. chickeypeep101

chickeypeep101 the Awesome Pullet

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    if you are turning them by hand they should be fine, if not then let them set at room temp.

8. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    You could always wait for the other 2 clutches to arrive then set them all at once

9. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I'll let the first sets sit on the counter a day and wait for the next 2. Hopefully they'll all be here by Friday and I can set them then.

I really need to stay off ebay....all those cute pictures! I just kept saying "I want them...and them...and them" lol

Thanks for all the help!

10. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG] That's how I wound up with three incubators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by