First timer at crocheting

RedCarpetSilkie

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Alabama
I am a beginner at crocheting and I would love to have some advice if you are will to give some and I would love to be able to be in some swaps. :) I got to get better first :)

I'd be happy to help if I can. I taught myself about 15 years ago. Recently, I started learning to knit, and found the Internet is super helpful! Lion brand, red heart and other companies have good tutorials. Utube is also super helpful.

The big thing to remember is to start small for confidence building. Think dish clothes and pot holders. Use cotton for pot holders as acrylic can melt....ouch!!

If you can yarn over, pull up a loop, and make a chain, you are golden. The big thing you will pick up over time is your tension. Many new crochet kids are too tight. Relax, make it fun, and you will be surprised at how quickly you pick this up!

Wish you lived nearby, I'd come give you lessons :)

Also, go check out ravelry.com. There are free patterns, discussion groups, swaps....every thing you could want!

If you can make a chain and single crochet, you can already do a lot. I'd suggest starting with simple things until you get fluent. You can probably make a purse with mostly single crochet, certainly a scarf. I've made whole afghans with single crochet.

Incidentally, I once got together with a BYC crocheter via skype and had a lesson. Maybe someone would like to hook up with you that way, too.

Welcome to the world of crochet, when just beginning you need to get your tension under control where you are crocheting at the same tension for all your stitches. Once you have good even stitching it is all versions of the chain and single stitch, just more yarn overs and more pull throughs per stitch. I think the hardest part is reading w/ comprehension the written instructions. Just remember all patterns no matter how complicated are one stitch at a time, and if you mess up just pull the string and try again.

Back
Top Bottom