first timer breed selection

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dartfreak75, Mar 8, 2013.

1. dartfreak75

dartfreak75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Hello I'm new here and to chickens and I need some help selecting a breed or breeds I wouldn't mind having more than one first off let me start with I want around 12-16 no more than 20! I want a good egg layer for eating eggs and a good meat producer and and want a hen that will set and reproduce so I can have chicks yearly I have two small children so they have to be docile and friendly right now I'm thinking about getting a mixer of a few breeds that will provide what I need what are some breeds that match what im looking for I really like the Plymouth rocks but iv heard they won't broad I also like dominique any help is appreciated

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Plymouth rocks DO brood. I gave my neighbor my one and she went broody for a while and eventually was given a n egg and hatched a lil' chick out. May I also recommend you look into getting brahmas. They can go broody, are large birds ( second largest breed), lay decently, and are very calm and lazy.

3. dartfreak75

Mar 8, 2013
    Ok thank you would brahmas and rock live together if I got both? I read that partridge rocks lay and set well I thought about trying a couple of them too maybe 3 or 4 of each

4. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    You could mix them just if you want to hatch eggs out then your birds won't be pure bred.

5. dartfreak75

Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks a lot I've decided to go with half Brahma half rocks what would make a better rooster a rock or Brahma?

6. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Brahma. My rocks had a tendency to get mean with me. The Brahmas were and are always nice and docile. Plus the brahmas are impressive with their massive size.

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I have a Dark Brahma, Light Brahma and a Barred Rock. None have mine have gone broody in 4 years, but Brahmas are extremely sweet and easily handled. I love my BR too, she is a more dominant hen and a better layer (more frequent larger eggs) than the Brahmas. I have a friend that does subsistence farming and her Light Brahmas go broody and hatch her replacements for her. I think she likes them because of their size and friendliness plus she lives in Montana and they are very cold-hardy. I have 8 hens and a roo and all of the breeds of hens I have are sweet and easy to handle (Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Barred Plymoth Rock, Easter Egger, L&d Brahma, Salmon Faverolles).

If you want a really sweet bird, you may also want to consider a Faverolles. This is my daughter's favorite chicken, but she is timid and may get bullied by the Rocks. Boys are supposed to be a nice size for processing and develop I think a little faster than the Brahmas. I haven't had pure roos of any of your list so I can't comment, although I have a 1/2 Faverolles Roo and he is very respectful and easy to handle, and watchful and good with the hens (so far).

Another strategy some people have non-broodies (for increased egg production) then also have one or two special brooders that they put the other hen's eggs under. I have had friends that use Silkies, Cochins and Buff Orpingtons as their broodies. All of these breeds are very easy to handle. Just another idea to muddy the waters.

And I almost forgot [​IMG]

8. dartfreak75

Mar 8, 2013
    Well I went to southern states to order my Brahms but they where closed so I went to tractor supply and picked up a few red star sex links il order my bramhas on Monday il try to post some pics on here I'm so exited lol

9. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Yes I bought 6 Amber sex link for their egg production and I'm going to get some silkies, marans, and barbanters later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by