first timer candling guinea eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fishman65, Sep 2, 2009.

1. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    this is my first time at hatching anything so i am new at this. I made a homemade incubator out of a 1.7cu ft ref/cooler. it has a fan and two incandesent lights in it, the temp is around 99.5-100.4 and it is a manual turn. I am on day 12 and i just candled the eggs and the top 2/3 of the egg is dark and the bottom pointy end is clear. Is this ok and normal.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yes. There should be a small clear spot at the top(the air cell), a dark spot in the middle(the baby) an a clear spot at the bottom that should slowly go away as the bird grows.

3. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    no clear spot on top that i could see. top 2/3 of egg was dark with clear spot on bottom pointy area. not really knowing what to look for but only clear spot i seen was on the bottom. they are supposed to go pointy end down right????

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Yes, pointed end down.
    I have one guinea egg in my bator right now. This is my first time with guineas. I started with 2. One was obviously clear.
    I'm on day 13 today & I candled the guinea egg while moving my cortunix to the hatcher.
    There should be an air cell on the top (rounded end) of the egg. You may have to shine the light on top of the egg to see it, but it should be there.
    I could also see veining and movement in mine, but I have a high-powered candler & I'm used to candling.
    The bottom (pointed end) of the egg has a small area that shines "clear." It looks yellow when candled.
    As long as you have an aircell and at least 2/3 of the egg is darkened, you should have a keet!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. fishman65

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    thanks. I only candled from the pointy end. never shined at the top of the egg. will try that tonight. I am on day 13 also. never thought this could be so much fun, my kids love there little eggy weggy's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by