First Timer- Different hatching dates in the same incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by all_clucked_up, Jun 11, 2011.

1. all_clucked_up

all_clucked_up Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm a chicken newbie, and I have an incubator with eggs of 2 different hatch dates. They're about 24 hours apart, and I'm wondering what to do about the last 3 days. Can I open the incubator for turning the late ones? What am I supposed to do about the humidity?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    24 hours is no big deal. Just split the difference, and do you lockdown halfway through the day its scheduled for the first batch -- they'll go into lockdown 12 hours late (in theory), the others 12 hours early. No need to turn the last eggs after that point, either, it will be fine. Keep it closed as much as possible to keep the humidity up.

In practice, eggs will hatch over a 2-3 day period anyway, so don't be surprised if a couple of the first batch hatch after one or two of the second batch.

Now, if you get to the point where you've got eggs with more than a 24 hour spread, you should plan on getting a second incubator so you don't face these issues again. Then, you can use one for incubating and one for hatching.

3. all_clucked_up

all_clucked_up Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Alright, thanks! Hopefully my mistake-making for this batch is over...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by