First timer - do my chickens look fat? Skinny? Boyish? Girly? Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lmpeebles, Jan 14, 2015.

1. lmpeebles

lmpeebles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Hello All,
    I'm a new BYC member and chicken flock herder (with three ducks thrown in!). 13 chicks and 3 ducks - all 9 weeks old today! I ordered 4 ducks and 5 chicks but they sent me 4 ducks and 14 chicks. lost one duckie the first day and one chickie in the first week [​IMG] I ordered a "straight run" and breed-wise they were Hatchery's Pick, so I have no idea what any of them are! Care to make any guesses on breed and/or gender? I think the all black duck is a Cayuga...that's about all I got.

Also, I'm still sorting out a lot of things, including the coop and feed, and they always come running at me for treats so I worry they aren't getting enough food. but at the same time, anymore feed and they'll eat me out of house and home! So...do they look like they're about the right size for 9 wks? [​IMG]

These are pics of them eating some spent grain from a local brewery as a treat. They seem pretty stoked about it. I tell ya, I am totally in love with my babies! I wish I didn't have to work during the day so I could just watch them. They don't even do that much but it's completely fascinating and makes me so happy!

[​IMG]
    1) The black one in the front is Peeta. I nursed her back to health from a riboflavin deficiency in the 2nd week or so [​IMG] so she better be a friggin' girl!

[​IMG]
    2) This is Lady - she's by far the most independent. She's gotta be a hen, right??"

[​IMG]
    3) This is Toupée, a Crested ____

[​IMG]
    4) Bubbles' butt. Loudest duck. White breast, a little bit of blue and green iridescence coming in on the wings, with white tips.

[​IMG]
    5) Bubbles up close, covered in spent grain. Boy or girl, I love him!

[​IMG]
    6) No name. I'm especially curious about the black ones and the one that looks like a peregrine falcon.

[​IMG]
    7) No name yet.

[​IMG]
    8) Another without a name.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

They don't look fat, it's crazy how much they eat while growing. They lol like Easter riggers or mix breeds to me but I'm still learning my breeds for help with breed and gender you will need better pictures...

1 person likes this.
  3. hennible

#8 has pointy looking hackle feathers so leaning towards rooster

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. hennible

Ok handy threads for you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944086/the-big-fat-is-this-a-rooster-thread
    There is also a section totally dedicated to sexing and helping you figure out breeds
    Called " what breed or gender is this "
    And here's the learning centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And the duck thread and treat list
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737292/the-duck-thread/4050#post_14609533

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Welcome to BYC

1 person likes this.
  5. lmpeebles

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Thanks hennible! Here's a few more pics. A lot of mine look like mutts to me, but thought if an expert wanted to weigh in! I certainly hope I have some easter eggers! I'd like to have a neat mixture of egg colors.

[​IMG]
    Pic 9

[​IMG]
    Pic 10

[​IMG]
    Pic 11

[​IMG]
    Pic 12 No name

[​IMG]
    Pic 13 No name

[​IMG]
    Pic 14 No name

[​IMG]
    Pic 15 Polka

[​IMG]
    Pic 16 No name

[​IMG]
    Pic 17 Foghorn. He's massive.

6. hennible

I am pretty sure foghorn and polka our male, polka look like a barred cock or black sex link... Most of them look like Easter egger hens or hatchery quality Amerucanas... You're probably going to have some lovely green eggs.

1 person likes this.
  7. hennible

Leg color is a good indicator of the EEs they should be sort of green or maybe gray

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

9. lmpeebles

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Yay, thanks BantamLover21! Glad to see there are some pullets in the mix. My husband was trying to get a rise out of me by suggesting that since I ordered the straight run, they're all probably roosters because the hatchery sells all the girls to those who specifically order them, and suckers like me get the rest! That would be the worst! [​IMG]

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Bantamlover21's guesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by